Response to feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
First, we do read the feedback section even if we do not always reply. So thanks to those who have left feedback, even the critical ones. After reading through all the feedback I decided to make one general reply in the news section.

The past few months we have taken on the very monumental task of revamping the hardware and backend of free hosting. I'm not going to lie, it was not easy and things did not go exactly as planned. We had our fair share of software issues, hardware issues, delays in receiving ordered hardware, etc. I'm very hopeful that once complete it will be many years before we have to do something like this again.

It has been 8 years now since we started giving away hosting, we have a ridiculous amount of accounts, files, databases, emails, and data in general for all of our users. Doing anything with the servers or backend that controls all of this is nothing short of a system admin's worst nightmare. The setup we were previously using was antiquated and we made the decision to overhaul the whole thing bringing it up to date with the latest hardware, software, and general practices in the hosting industry. Making the decision to completely revamp a production system that has ties into so many accounts and servers was not easy, but necessary. Picture upgrading your computer from WindowsXP to Windows7 along with all new hardware, moving your own files and software is a daunting task, now picture moving a million other people's data.

With that said, we are at the end of this overhaul. The software has been revamped and upgraded, the free servers have been virtualized*, the hardware has been changed. We are now running the latest intel E5 processors and are fully utilizing both SSD local storage and redundant SAN storage for all systems. Anyone loading their site today should notice a dramatic increase in speed for everything related to your hosting account.

We still have some tidying up to do however anything requiring extensive downtime has passed. There is quite the backlog of tickets and we are doing our best to clear them. It is possible your ticket may be closed without an answer, if this happens and you still have an issue please re-open the ticket or submit a new one. We are mass closing tickets that are related to issues that have been resolved to help us get to outstanding issues faster.

I will leave this thread open to address any questions, however I can not provide support in this thread so please do not post your support inquiries here.

*Chopin has to be moved to the new infrastructure still, this will happen in the next few weeks.

hsoares8584

Reaction score
Thanks Corey, you guys have done incredible work.

Has the issues with 1H been solved yet? (haven't had access to my site since 4/14)

volpevid

Reaction score
Thanks Corey, your work is really appreciated!
For several days Starka return the out of memory error (for example in my wordpress website) and the cPanel isn't accessible, login always fails. I would ask if you and other administrators are aware of these problems; on the Status Page there isn't any announcement about these problems.
Best regards and thanks again! :wink:

george21

X10Hosting Fanatic
Prime Account
Reaction score
Very glad to hear this Corey; hopefully it will give our users more confidence in the service.

belltown

Reaction score
Regarding the upgrades, what's going on with PHP? When the upgrades started I see that the PHP version had changed from 5.3.8 to 5.3.10, so I assume that a PHP upgrade is part of the overall system upgrade. I had to change some of my code to handle some differences between PHP 5.3.8 and 5.3.10, which I was able to get working. However, it seems that over the past few weeks there have been multiple changes back and forth between these two PHP versions. Usually when there are problems I see that the 5.3.10 version is the one in use. When the problems seem to be resolved (until the next time) I notice that we're back to PHP 5.3.8. Currently I'm seeing PHP 5.3.8 on Boru, although cPanel says the PHP version is "unknown". Does this mean that the upgrade process is still not complete with regards to PHP on Boru, and that we can expect more problems when the next attempt is made to upgrade to 5.3.10? I notice also that whenever 5.3.10 is running, open_basedir is set, which is not the case for 5.3.8; this was partly the reason I had to change some of my code.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
If you've been 'limited' for more then a few hours PM me and I'll look into it, something is probably messed up from all the switching around causing the limit to not be lifted properly. If you have a ticket open regarding this I'll try to find it and take care of it today.

1H issues should be resolved.

Regarding the PHP version this is handled by 1H. When you saw the PHP versions switching back to 5.3.10 it was NOT 1H, as of right now 1H only supports 5.3.8... they are working on 5.3.10 for us though and we should have it any day. When we get the 1H version of 5.3.10 it shouldn't change the way open_basedir works. Part of the reason we use 1H is due to the chroot environment it puts each user into.

And lastly, I'm going to go through and adjust the memory\execution time limits of PHP. It looks like these got wiped in our latest update.

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
And lastly, I'm going to go through and adjust the memory\execution time limits of PHP. It looks like these got wiped in our latest update.

yay :) please tell us when you have this resolved

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
They should be adjusted back to normal, if you still have PHP issues let me know.

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
They should be adjusted back to normal, if you still have PHP issues let me know.

I'm still getting them :(

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 25165824) (tried to allocate 1966080 bytes) in /home/********/public_html/phpBB3/cache/tpl_prosilver_viewtopic_body.html.php on line 322

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still getting them :(

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 25165824) (tried to allocate 1966080 bytes) in /home/********/public_html/phpBB3/cache/tpl_prosilver_viewtopic_body.html.php on line 322

PM me what I need to do, to reproduce that error.

opster

Reaction score
Hi Corey!!!!

Loving the speed, but i cant login to phpmyadmin!! It was a support ticket, #11997, you can see all the info there!!!

jtb_btj13

Reaction score
was worth the wait for these updates, good job
thanks x10 .........

Status
Not open for further replies.