Restoring phpBB2.0.23 problem

theworkshop

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to posting on this forum and I have a free X10 hosting account.

I hope I'm in the right place... couldn't find anything similar so started a new thread... if I have repeated be happy to be directed thnx..

Ok, no luck, this is what is happening..

The original forum is on a different server, running phpBB2.0.22.

I downloaded a gz (compressed) version of the complete database for the forum storing it on my PC, also downloaded a sql (compressed) version of the complete database for the forum storing it on my PC. A quick check in editor shows they are good and I can read the posts in there so not thinking corrupt backup data..

installed a bare bones version of pbpbb2.0.23 on x10 server with bare bones new database.

It installs correctly, renamed the config and install folders (still need them present), open phpBB2/index.php and shows regular single default no structure TEST FORUM 1 so I know it's up and running as a fresh install.

Now, in both case, restoring through the phpMyAdmin option (IMPORT -> backupfile.gz) or through the admin panel of the forum itself it says it's been a success yet when I view the forum, still seems to be a bare bones forum, like the restore never happened.

I have tried restoring with a gz file, with a basic sql file but not seeing any fault arguments or any backed up forum! it's frustrating.

the only thing that could be an issue (no warning messages) is the original backup was made on phpBB2.0.22 and the new forum software version is phpBB2.0.23 however I would be surprised if that were the case.

the backupfile.gz restore using the phpMyAdmin option gives this message in green text when completed:
Import has been successfully finished, 27906 queries executed.
the backupfile.sql restore using the phpMyAdmin option gives this message in green text when completed:
Import has been successfully finished, 27906 queries executed.

When restoring via admin panel I get this message:
The Database has been successfully restored.
Your board should be back to the state it was when the backup was made.

Even tried using BigDump and again it indicates the restore has been a success but again the displayed forum still looks virgin.

I have a fairly basic understanding of setting ip the phpBB software and not really clued up with MySQL so I tread carefully in there and don't fiddle with things that I don't understand. I have no idea what else could be wrong so any suggestions would be really great!
Everything shows as if it is restoring but it isn't. Even though I'd check using a different browser to ensure wasn't reading cached version. the backup forum is here

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello kind sir,

It sounds more like a phpBB problem, and since the version is outdated I would look into upgrading to phpBB3.

theworkshop

Reaction score
That is the long term plan.

I was setting up on a different server so I could convert the restored phpBB2 forum to phpBB3 and complete all required template changes to get it looking right but I don't want to do it on the main server the forum is currently installed on. Once I get it up and running, I will save make a new phpBB2 backup, close the existing forum for a short time while I restore the database convert it to phpBB3 and install phpBB3 on the main server using the last backup.

So, I really need to somehow get this working.

Also, been finding the cPanel phpMyAdmin pages really slow to load for some reason, sometimes 10 minutes later still blank pages as if it's hung but no error messages.

Last edited: