[REVIEW] Black Nova Designs.co.uk

disturbedart

Reaction score
Thanks everyone im still working on a few things to make it better anyway so keep an eye out for recent changes.

jfrancis79

Prime Account
Reaction score
Good website, however one recommendation I would make. If you are going to post your e-mail address I would not post your e-mail address like name@tld.tld instead I would post it like name[at]tld[dot]tld that way spammer/bots won't pick it up and only humans will.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Overall not bad though not a great fan of the black text on dark grey background in the gallery, also the logo for the coppermine gallery needs either re doing or the css being tweeked to make the logo div larger. Simply sqaushing the main site logo into a smaller box does not look good at all.

Remember not only do you have to convince potential clients that you have great graphic design skills but you also must prove to them you can make the artwork function as a web page and they will make that desicion based upon what they see on your own site.

24/7 Help Service: Never put that up unless there are two or more of you behind the business, the Internet may never sleep but you must.
Contact us via hotmail address.... WHY? you have a domain so create some email accounts eg: contact@blacknova..

Legal Stuff Unless you plan on working for free then by law you must provide the registered trading address for the business (contry, town, street name, house number and postcode) Basically once money becomes involved the rules get more complicated and you cannot hide behind hotmail and a disposable sim card.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not bad at all, with a few minor niggles.

Your Portfolio is just too different from the rest of the site at the moment. I'll cut you some slack for the appearance of the forum and the shop, since there's only so much a feller can do without completely rewriting large chunks of the software (oh, $DEITY, how I remember my wrestling matches with osCommerce...) and the overall look you've achieved is close enough to tie them in. The portfolio, though, is sort of like being redirected to a different domain -- apart from the content, it has nothing in common with the rest of the site.

There's a problem with some of the transitions in your "What's Hot" widget. It only happens on the transitions that use vertical stripes moving in from the bottom. The first stripe in (either the leftmost or the rightmost, depending on the swipe direction) is either incomplete or out of position until the entire image has loaded (which is probably when the stripes are replaced with the full image file). That's in both Chrome and Firefox on XP (I don't have IE9 or Opera on this machine, and the Safari version I have installed has grey hair and a bit of arthritis). The other transitions (blocks and fades) are good. It might be just this old steam-powered laptop I'm using at the moment, but it's worth testing on a few other machines. If there really is a problem with the vertical stripe transitions, it would be worth you while to take them out of the sequence -- it really spoils an otherwise very slick and impressive design.

disturbedart

Reaction score
Yep totally agree with you, i notice the transitions at times that seem to lag alittle.
Also totally agree with all your comments, i am currently re-building the whole of the other themes to match the rest of the site, it will take alittle work but ill post it up here again for review of the rest of the site.

And thank you and glad you like the site.

Thanks,
Kyle.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

I have changed the Gallery/ Portfolio Now so thats more with the inital Theme the Rest will slowly be implemented with a theme as close as possible to the main theme.

Enjoy.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Much better, but there are a couple of details -- the nav bar and the "What's Hot" ribbon from the widget (the diagonal element in the upper-left-hand corner) are at a higher z-index than the portfolio items display box.

It took a couple of clicks to even notice that because (quite coincidentally) those elements line up very well with the elements of the web designs in your portfolio, so it almost looks intentional -- until you hit a preview that doesn't fit well. It would not surprise me at all to find out that you never noticed it yourself in testing. The fit really is that good on a couple of the designs. Again, it's just a z-index change; nothing major.

disturbedart

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, i have never noticed that myself, ill see what i can do shortly, current in the progress of getting the new release of my new CMS out at the moment, trying to get it into testing stages to allow general public to use it.

But Yea im trying to get all the other pages finished up as well try get them as close as possible to the original site as possible.

Thanks once again,
Kyle.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

I have tidied the slider up, apart from the z-index, can you show a screenshot as i cant see it, just might be me missing it everytime.

Also ive added alittle more theme styles to the other pages, just to tie them into the site alittle more and have added more php functions into the site to display more data, eg the date stamps, also tidied up the blog to display more efficiently and tidied up the layout alittle more.

Please have another peek over it if possible.

Cheers,
Kyle.

disturbedart

Reaction score
Please can people go through my entire site and see if they can find some errors i want to get this up an running correctly

Thanks,
Kyle.

garrette

Reaction score
Very nice site, I was looking at your copyright information at the bottom of your home page, and you said that one can use your information if they had "brought" and have a valid license.

Other than that I really liked your site, it is very cool, and has a very slick design.