Review my new site?

Lochie

Reaction score
Alright, so this is a little project I've been working on for my Halo 3 team, for all you non-gamers, it's basically for competitive gaming. The site will include Updates and a blog for the team. Here's the link:
http://go.x10hosting.com/vfd

To view the more interesting parts, you will probably have to register.

Basically, it's a PHP system that allows you to talk to and message us, a forum, and some other things. In the future I will most likely include my script that allows you to make an avatar for yourself aswell.

Let me know what you think of the overall appearance of the site is, but keep in mind it is not done yet. ;)

freecrm

Reaction score
Xbox? You poor unfortunate soul! LOL

On a more serious note, your site looks pretty cool. I've even registered to check it all out! (You can delete Rhyfelwr now if you want).

The structure appears pretty slick and I applaud you for developing a system on your own, rather than trying to adapt something else.

The only thing I found a bit weird was the full width header, followed by an auto-expanding main content. Was there a reason for this? Why not apply the same css principle to the main content?

I note its not finished yet, but so far, it seems to work well.

Oh, another thing you might have problems with - your registration system has no way to validate to user. Bots (if they find it) can saturate your user base very easily.

Two ways you could ge round this.

1) CAPTCHA - a code embedded in an image that has to be entered before registration can continue (although some bots have got round this.

2) E-MAIL VALIDATION - simply automate an e-mail with a unique link. Once the link is followed from their e-mail, it validates the user. This I have found to be the better of the two systems but there are a lot of people who have blacklisted X10 so they might not get the mail.

Keep up the good work.

Lochie

Reaction score
Xbox? You poor unfortunate soul! LOL

On a more serious note, your site looks pretty cool. I've even registered to check it all out! (You can delete Rhyfelwr now if you want).

The structure appears pretty slick and I applaud you for developing a system on your own, rather than trying to adapt something else.

The only thing I found a bit weird was the full width header, followed by an auto-expanding main content. Was there a reason for this? Why not apply the same css principle to the main content?

I note its not finished yet, but so far, it seems to work well.

Oh, another thing you might have problems with - your registration system has no way to validate to user. Bots (if they find it) can saturate your user base very easily.

Two ways you could ge round this.

1) CAPTCHA - a code embedded in an image that has to be entered before registration can continue (although some bots have got round this.

2) E-MAIL VALIDATION - simply automate an e-mail with a unique link. Once the link is followed from their e-mail, it validates the user. This I have found to be the better of the two systems but there are a lot of people who have blacklisted X10 so they might not get the mail.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks Freecrm, I'll look into the captcha. The full width content box was not on perpose, but it's smallest width is 800 I think, although I can't recall exactly, which is why it seems like it's full width.

freecrm

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well.

What I meant was that the header has a fixed width central division, with auto margin left and right - pretty normal.

Your main content below the header is formatted differently..

You have a central division that is controlled by a %, rather than fixed pixel. The left and right margins too are just in %'s.

The mixure between the two isn't right.

Weirdly, I can't view your page source, so I can't determine how your css is built.

I'm viewing it in 1024x768 on IE7

Lochie

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well.

What I meant was that the header has a fixed width central division, with auto margin left and right - pretty normal.

Your main content below the header is formatted differently..

You have a central division that is controlled by a %, rather than fixed pixel. The left and right margins too are just in %'s.

The mixure between the two isn't right.

Weirdly, I can't view your page source, so I can't determine how your css is built.

I'm viewing it in 1024x768 on IE7
Yeah, I think that is just because of the way I did the banner, you can tell because the actual size of the banner is 953*81px, so if your window goes smaller than that, it will just disappear. There are also two layers behind the banner, each covering 50% of the page, 1 half is the blue gradient, and the other is the red. I think that is what you are talking about?

freecrm

Reaction score
So why don't you have your main content div 952 wide (within a wrapper) and have

margin-left:auto;
margin-right:auto;

This will keep it the same width and tie in the borders the same as your header?