Review my site please

nd.walleye42

Reaction score
Not sure if you want this blunt or what your shooting for, so I'll just go with blunt. :) What exactly are we reviewing? No content to speak of, horrible color scheme (the red on grey is almost unreadable). The site needs both direction and some artistic guidance. Not to knock ya, but this is something that could have been produced 20 years ago when we first started seeing graphical websites. Just my 2cents. Update it some more and I'd be interested in seeing where you take it i guess.

Andrew

garrette

Reaction score
Uhm I am a beginner as well. I have only studied html, php, and java for about a month now and I can easily do better than this. . . not to knock on you or anything but I'm assuming you are very inexperienced. As far as the site goes, the background looks tacky, as well as the links and text.

For your information, maybe you should put them in a table and add a different colored background? and make the background either dark/light and make the text the opposite. Any colors that are in the middle can make your page hard to read.

Uhh as for the forum, I noticed you are using phbb, which I like personally, and it's easy to set up.

How much time did you spend on it? It seems like you haven't put much effort into it, and the design has no plan. I would write down some sort of draft down on paper of what you want to accomplish, and then do your best to code it so it looks exactly like it. When I first created a website in HTML, my first try, I believe I was able to better express my ideas, and it had a clearer focus than yours does there. Make the web pages look vaguely similar, and if you want links on the top that lead to other pages, make them stand out so the users don't have to look for them.

Now I'm not even close to know what I'm doing with any of this programming stuff, I'm only 17 and I am self taught. This website took me about 2 hours to design, and about another 3 for research and information. This is done in all HTML, and all in notepad. The website I created for a college class is http://www.users.muohio.edu/emrickgj/AffirmativeAction.htm

this website is done only with html (except for the feedback, that's php) and I believe it looks better based on the fact that it is just more organized, and has a better color scheme (in my opinion). Now I think it's very basic, but if you want to know how I did anything on my site, just ask lol.

Overall, I think you just need to plan what your are doing, it will really help in the long run. Once you have it planned out, you can begin to work on the design of your website, then add the information. Just putting the information on the page and centering it doesn't look too great.

kwrat1497

Reaction score
Well I got it put in a template now and changed some colors around, thanks for the tips and dont worry, blunt is better then beating aroung the bush, I havent worked on it much and im trying to get a login script working but im haveing ALOT of trouble for some reason.. Theres plenty im trying to learn like CSS and Javascript and stuff so im still working on it, but thank you:)
Not sure if you want this blunt or what your shooting for, so I'll just go with blunt. :) What exactly are we reviewing? No content to speak of, horrible color scheme (the red on grey is almost unreadable). The site needs both direction and some artistic guidance. Not to knock ya, but this is something that could have been produced 20 years ago when we first started seeing graphical websites. Just my 2cents. Update it some more and I'd be interested in seeing where you take it i guess.

Andrew

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Thank you for the tips:), there is one thing I do want to know, How can I get a form working so i can put it on the "support" page? Any suggestions? I got it in a template now and added a bit more color so now it looks a bit better, just want to get a login script working also, Thank you :)
Uhm I am a beginner as well. I have only studied html, php, and java for about a month now and I can easily do better than this. . . not to knock on you or anything but I'm assuming you are very inexperienced. As far as the site goes, the background looks tacky, as well as the links and text.

For your information, maybe you should put them in a table and add a different colored background? and make the background either dark/light and make the text the opposite. Any colors that are in the middle can make your page hard to read.

Uhh as for the forum, I noticed you are using phbb, which I like personally, and it's easy to set up.

How much time did you spend on it? It seems like you haven't put much effort into it, and the design has no plan. I would write down some sort of draft down on paper of what you want to accomplish, and then do your best to code it so it looks exactly like it. When I first created a website in HTML, my first try, I believe I was able to better express my ideas, and it had a clearer focus than yours does there. Make the web pages look vaguely similar, and if you want links on the top that lead to other pages, make them stand out so the users don't have to look for them.

Now I'm not even close to know what I'm doing with any of this programming stuff, I'm only 17 and I am self taught. This website took me about 2 hours to design, and about another 3 for research and information. This is done in all HTML, and all in notepad. The website I created for a college class is http://www.users.muohio.edu/emrickgj/AffirmativeAction.htm

this website is done only with html (except for the feedback, that's php) and I believe it looks better based on the fact that it is just more organized, and has a better color scheme (in my opinion). Now I think it's very basic, but if you want to know how I did anything on my site, just ask lol.

Overall, I think you just need to plan what your are doing, it will really help in the long run. Once you have it planned out, you can begin to work on the design of your website, then add the information. Just putting the information on the page and centering it doesn't look too great.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
"to bad stupidity isn't painful"

Download our Toolbar

Don't feel bad about any harsh comments while you are learning, we all started the same way and EVERY website designer & developer has similiar work in their early portfolios that would make Satan himself cringe in horror.

Add colorcombos.com to your bookmarks it will help until you get your graphic designer eyes in focus. DynamicDrive.com is another place well worth a good look around, especially the CSS section for layouts.