Review my site?

THSO

Reaction score
I just opened a online outdoor astore on the 6th. We started with a simple site and have continuously worked on it since we opened. Could you tell me what you think of it? www.huntersupplyoutlet.com
Thanks!

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the Facebook-everywhere thing, but that's my own prejudice, I guess. (It's a concern for anyone who's got privacy issues. My problem with it isn't privacy-related, but that it slows page loads down to a crawl and saps my bandwidth allowance.) The Flash thing is a killer, though -- a significant number of people won't be able to use that, since Apple iDevices don't do Flash. I run a Flash blocker in my browser because I don't like distracting animated ads and promotions, and I don't enable Flash on a site unless there's a compelling reason to do so. I have no idea what's waiting behind those red Fs on your site; there didn't seem to be any reason to turn Flash on. If there's anything important in the Flash embeds, I didn't see it, and neither will anybody using an iPhone or iPad.

THSO

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by red F's? Also I use a apple iPhone 4S and the widgets don't show up bit the links all work and the store is visible. So please elaborate more and thanks for the input.

THSO

Reaction score
The red F's are probably the deals and featured products widgets.

jsauce

Reaction score
Not a big fan of the Facebook-everywhere thing, but that's my own prejudice, I guess. (It's a concern for anyone who's got privacy issues. My problem with it isn't privacy-related, but that it slows page loads down to a crawl and saps my bandwidth allowance.) The Flash thing is a killer, though -- a significant number of people won't be able to use that, since Apple iDevices don't do Flash. I run a Flash blocker in my browser because I don't like distracting animated ads and promotions, and I don't enable Flash on a site unless there's a compelling reason to do so. I have no idea what's waiting behind those red Fs on your site; there didn't seem to be any reason to turn Flash on. If there's anything important in the Flash embeds, I didn't see it, and neither will anybody using an iPhone or iPad.

Well unfortunately, this is a Facebook-centric world we live in now, so its going to be enabled in everything. And since people only leave FB to visit other sites where they can still post on FB, it makes sense to have a way for them to do it. I've seen no slow-down as a result of the integration, and it only loads a few posts, so it uses very little bandwidth, especially compared to the rest of the site. So it seems you just have a problem with FB, and maybe not with bandwidth.

I too block flash, and scripting typically on all sites by default, and only enable it if something doesn't work. Unfortunately, this is the modern web, and it's not going anywhere. In this case though the flash is merely the Amazon widgets used to display product. When HTML5 is fully implemented, and Amazon writes a widget that supports it, then flash will become unnecessary, but until then, its not going anywhere.

As for the iphone and ipad not supporting it, again those widgets are merely used for displaying product and there is no discernible difference between the desktop version of the site, and the site viewed on an iphone/ipad.

jsauce

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by red F's? Also I use a apple iPhone 4S and the widgets don't show up bit the links all work and the store is visible. So please elaborate more and thanks for the input.

Flash Block, it prevents flash from loading and replaces the container with a little red F, for flash.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There is no excuse for running Flash these days unless you're gaming. Especially if you expect to make commercial gain -- non-traditional computing devices are a huge chunk of the online user base, and will largely supplant desktops and notebooks altogether over the next couple of years. THAT's the reality that we have to live with. And there really isn't a good reason to "socialize" the front page of an eCommerce site beyond Like actions. That's not "the modern web"; its "the wrong freaking paradigm". But what do I know; I've just been doing this professionally since HTML was released.

THSO

Reaction score
Mr. Esseller,
No disrespect what so ever and I'm happy for the input and sure you been at this awhile, but as you may have noticed this is a astore that we had to build around. Amazon only offers flash for their widgets, our features and deals. So until amazon comes up with something different this is what we have to work with. We would of loved for it to be java or something else but it's not and that's all we can offer at the moment.

jsauce

Reaction score
There is no excuse for running Flash these days unless you're gaming. Especially if you expect to make commercial gain -- non-traditional computing devices are a huge chunk of the online user base, and will largely supplant desktops and notebooks altogether over the next couple of years. THAT's the reality that we have to live with. And there really isn't a good reason to "socialize" the front page of an eCommerce site beyond Like actions. That's not "the modern web"; its "the wrong freaking paradigm". But what do I know; I've just been doing this professionally since HTML was released.

NO surprise I agree with some of what you have to say. I too do not like Flash, I would have liked to do it all in HTML5, but that's not an option, we work with the tools that have been made available to us. I completely disagree with your assessment of mobile browsing of course, I don't think it will ever replace the desktop and notebook market, especially if Microsoft continues to flop out crap like Windows 8. People will always need a desktop or laptop to do more powerful computing, at least until mobile technology can get up to speed, which I just don't see for a while, not to mention most people just prefer to use a keyboard and mouse, something you lose when going mobile.

I guarantee any site that integrates itself to a social medium will be more successful than one that chooses not to. People today generally want to have some kind of social interaction when going anywhere on the web, especially as I've said when leaving something like FB which most people dedicate hours of endlessness to.

No disrespect, but I too have been doing this a long time, in every aspect of the IT field, and I've learned one thing: Everyone has an opinion.