Review My Site

thehave3

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I made a forum that is about sharing knowledge on how to code websites, programs, apps, etc.
It is a brand new community as I have just made it so it is empty threaded but I am going to start changing that. Functioning wise is what im looking at mostly in a critique but anything is good.

I hope to gather a community real soon if you know anyone who would be interested in this stuff. Bring them over to check it out.

http://thehaven.x10.bz

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
A forum's a forum, really; there's not much to comment on other than the theme (which will never please everybody, no matter what you do; I personally hate dark themes, but others seem to love 'em) and the content (which there ain't at the moment). I would suggest that there is a problem with the organisation, though, if your aim is to make it a developers' hangout rather than a place for random people to argue about which noises should be considered worthy of ear-space, or whether or not a Wii is an actual gaming device, and exchange lame jokes with each other. The "Developer's Area" should be the main focus of the site, and until that happens (and there are several available, focused fora in the area) you've really got nothing — even the titles of empty fora will let people know what sort of community you're trying to build.

thehave3

Reaction score
Well the general section people can argue in about whats worthy ear talk so they can all debate everything out in there. As far as for what your saying I don't understand what you mean when you say focused fora in the area. I will be adding threads & guidelines for topics I just haven't gotten to it atm because i've been working so much.

As far as the theme goes I personally am not a fan of light or white themes only because staring at them after awhile becomes a real eyesore especially if your a all niter like me & your up at 4am looking at a white page its really straining to the eyes. So The dark themes are just irritating. But I will add a light theme for those who perfer it.

The developer's area catagory will be the main focus of the site. I will be adding more sections shortly.

Patrick.B

Reaction score
Hi

I don't know really how how to review your website/project idea, it's only a MyBB install, with a prefab template and some of your personnal image. I can said BB team have do a nice work and you didn't have do anything for programming only one webpage.

The idea of a website for developers or any other person like that is good, but the internet is already full about the same idea, so it's hard to start anything liek that without existing community follow your project.

The forum as cleary have too much topic for nothing, espascilly in news and general topics, and no one in developers topic ... for a website suposing talking of develop'.
The forum seem to be have more groupe then users registered, a good management is clearly needed in this..
I think for my personal opion, a website talking of building and develop other app's,website,software etc... have to be hand-crafted completly too ...

You seem to have a full list of good idea but you want all right now with minimal times and probably skills too, so you are better to trying to reach some small goal before, and after you have get some achievement in youre programming life, you'll be in better way to start more big project :)

I hope this will help you a bit.
A+

brittbr2

Reaction score
I have to go with Patrick and say I agree your using a pre-made template with barely any customizations. It's not mobile compatible which is huge to me because most of my site views are via mobile so you want to make sure your theme is responsive. If your hosting a developer forum you should make the developer category visible to guests as that's not going to attract users I made an account and then saw theme. I understand you want to have some members only groups and yiu should have guest developer section where guests can view it then members only so members can share tips and tricks with other members. The platform mybb is an ok use for now but when your site gets bigger I would recommend a paid platform to better customize and add functions to your site

thehave3

Reaction score
For mobile you can use the app tapatalk to look at the forum via mobile. The skin has been modified it is not just some premade template. MyBB is great for customization along with plugins I would upgrade to Vbulletin but since I don't have a license for one yet, that's not something I use currently.
A guest section for developers I will consider adding that in seems like a good idea.

Patrick, I am well aware there are many other forums which have the general same idea most of the forums have been spammed up with false or old information that is no longer up to date with today's coding formats. At least with "The Haven" it will be a fresh start for accurate information to come in & as I get a team going the site will go through dramatic changes coding wise with the site. There is already more then one page besides the forum, there's a blog, & a project management page for the staff which will be used when I start getting app developers to work on some projects.

As for your group comment, there are more members then group. Like I have said in the first cost it literally is a brand new site so everything is plainly fresh but if you have any further suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

XFHosting

Reaction score
Now i know its forums and you cant do much more to it, but the forums color looks amazing on it.