Review my webpage

SB2008

Reaction score
Please review my webpage at sbailey.x10hosting.com, and let me know how I can make it better. Thanks! :happysad:

delon

Banned
Reaction score
I think you should not add Flash intros or Animations in the homepage since it makes the site load slow and makes your visitor leave your website fastly. Try deleting the into on your website. Now forward to your main website :
The logo seems to be increasing my eye power, preventing my eyes to see the logo. Instead of text header, try to add some a good, appealing to the eyes header ( try cooltext.com ). Navigation Bar is out out out out of the world. See some great websites around you, take ideas from there and try to build up a good website again. And ill cut marks for the intro. And when some one clicks on your resume, he should be directly shown the resueme in HTML format, he should see 3 option for in .doc format, .pdf format and then in .html format, you can remove the HTML format option and directly show it and in the side bar you can .pdf and .doc options for your resume. Again on gallery directly show your slideshows. And in the about me add some more stuff eg. hobbies, interest, favorites, more on your dog ( which breed, how you care for it ) and we don't care if your sister is married or not, some of your photos on your about me section, may be you can also embed your favorite web game on your about me section.

Overall Rating : 3.5 / 10
Need to work hard. Practice more coding.

tittat

Reaction score
The site is too generic, but not at all bad for a newbie.A lot more to improve.
Get rid of that "Do you wish to continue seeing the flash intro?", it looks unprofessional.
Good Luck....

xmakina

Reaction score
A simple "Skip Intro" link will do nicely. Of course, if it's so unnessecary you have to ask the user if they even want to watch, why is it even there?

Too much space given to the header. It could easily stop at the bottom of the logo but goes on a fair bit longer.

(C) 2007? We've nearly finished 2008. Might want to update that.

There's some kind of button discoloration on your navigation. It looks like my monitors gone all weird where you've left the buttons in but no links. If they're not being used, don't keep them there.

"Evaluation"? It's nice to know they teach you the same rubbish over in america as they do in England. Get rid of it and put in a single "Comment" box. No bugger will use it either way.

There's a number of pages that don't work. Guestbook and friends were the two I found. Would be wise to go through your site and check.

Your portfolio is something to be embarassed about. You call a flash file a "Gif Animation". Just, no.

But stick at it. You're young, we all make these kind of mistakes. Points for trying.

blitzkrieg

Reaction score
you need to work on the design of your page.. try to check a few good looking web pages and check what details are there. Also, try to stick with a few singles color so the logo isn't a completly different color from your website.

amolpatil2k

Reaction score
Please review my webpage at sbailey.x10hosting.com, and let me know how I can make it better. Thanks! :happysad:
Hello Scott,

Your site has many many problems in terms of usability, in the sense that, it does not have the usual logic that web surfers are accustomed to.

(1) Flash Intro: A Flash intro puts off people. But let's say you absolutely need to have it, then the usual pactice is that you put it on the home page, then put a link at the bottom saying Skip Intro. Also there needs to be some sort of error handling because all browsers are not able to handle Flash.

(2) The color scheme is dark and gloomy. It should be bright and colorful. Also the background image is not right. It should be a unobstrusive tiled pattern.

(3) Links should not be underlined. Just a couple of line of css code can handle that for you.

(4) Do not provide your address and email in plain text. Either use javascript to encrypt it or use a graphic to embed it. Using the former method allows humans to use the address while preventing bots from crawling it. Using the latter method thwarts even the more aggressive crawlers.

(5) In portfolio rollover there are at least two mistakes. The images are not optimized so these take a long time to load. Also you have used your grandmother's portrait exactly on top of your face so it appears comical. Use the group photo instead. Google "rollover" in Images to get ideas on the situations where rollovers are best employed.

(6) The portfolio is basically the meat of your site. It should be very slick. And if possible on the same page. Another way is to put thumbnails. For instance, the first slide of the powerpoint presentation. The first image of the slide show. The thumbnail of your rollover image and so on. Then links these images to the respective pages. Also these pages should load as html pages with navigation containing the images or Flash not just the images and Flash.

(7) The link called email should be renamed Feedback. Actually you would be better off installing WordPress via Fantastico in cPanel. Then using Pages in Wordpress for Links, About, Portfolio, etc and Posts for any new work you come up with. This would give you a feedback form on all Pages and Posts.

Amol Patil

Sohail

Reaction score
I think you should work a lot on the layout, the table outlines don't look that nice to me...