Running 1080p YouTube on Netbooks and slower PCs!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, for those of you who purchased a PC recently or have upgraded some hardware, if you have a GPU from nVidia that is of the ION series or a GeForce 8 series or newer card, you can now use the video card to process video running in Flash. What does this mean? If you have a slower processor which is found on older machines or on Netbooks and HD video stutters when ran through Adobe Flash, the GPU will now take care of that processing allowing you to watch high definition video.

What do you need to get stated?

1: Install this Beta driver to your PC and reboot afterwards.

Visit this website. Choose your video card, Operating System, and then choose Beta Drivers. Press Go. YOu will be presented with a list of drivers. Install the latest driver as of this post which is GeForce/ION Display Driver 195, released on November 17, 2009.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

2: Install the Adobe Flash 10.1 Beta.

Remove any old installations of Flash and then install this.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

3: Reboot your PC after both of these are installed, and try viewing HD (1080p video especially) on sites such as YouTube or Vimeo. See if the video is a lot smoother. Take note that on the newer YouTube player which is showing up on some videos, you can right click the player and select Show Video Info which will give you the bitrate of the video as well as it's size and the frame rate it is running at, and how many frames have been dropped.

Let me know what you guys think of this!

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
cool. I cant wait to try this. the only thing I need is a new computer. lol
would these work on macs, im thinking about getting a macbook pro

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
cool. I cant wait to try this. the only thing I need is a new computer. lol
would these work on macs, im thinking about getting a macbook pro

Should work on Mac if you have an nVidia GPU and the drivers and Flash files are around.

Danielx386

Reaction score
Nice one. what if your playing flv vids that you downloaded off youtube? Same for MP4 files?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Nice one. what if your playing flv vids that you downloaded off youtube? Same for MP4 files?

I believe it's a flash only thing at the moment, but many of the media players out there do at least have some basic form of Hardware Acceleration, such as how WMVs can use Overlays in Direct3D to help lighten CPU load, and how QuickTime can do the same thing.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Pity I can't do this on my netbook - it's got an Intel GPU.

I tried running 1080p YouTube on it, and it used 100% CPU and stuttered :p