Running a Server

richm8026

Reaction score
I was curious, I was reading online about setting up a free server kind of like x10hosting, geocities, freewebs.com if you actually need to have two computers??? I only have one, so I guess maybe I can't do that, and how much you actually need to know to create my own site, maybe named, "RMEnterprises." I've always wanted to have my own server, but don't know enough to understand how they work, I just found one for Unix, can you even use Windows as a server based computer??? I'll be getting another PC from a friend in time that will have Linux on it so that way I can take Linux off this one and use it as a Windows System instead of using both of my hard drives to dual boot.. Or do I have to contact my Internet Service Provider about this information?? I figured I'd read first then ask in here before contacting them..

Last edited:

Chris S

Retired
Reaction score
well, you would be able to run a server, but it would be a very slow one as your upload speed is slow, and then you don't really need two computers, yes it would be an advantage to have two, you can manage the server from the other computer, but currently I am running a personal server off a portable hard drive.

it is probably also against the TOS of your internet provide to run a server, but you would have to check with them

I know on campus, I can access my server, but the moment I leave campus I can no longer access the server so you also need to do a little port setting on your router

richm8026

Reaction score
Uh, thanks, I figured I'd have to contact them about it, does it cost anything extra that you know of???

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Uh, thanks, I figured I'd have to contact them about it, does it cost anything extra that you know of???

Many ISPs to stop you from hosting web servers block Port 80 Incoming network side. Port 80 used to be open on every ISP before some Red virus of doom came along and caused a global scare, but now a days, if you want an ISP with an unblocked Port 80, you need to either pay for a static IP with a business account or you need to find an ISP that is suited for businesses and hosting (fiber optic, T1, T3, etc) all of which can be expensive. Typically, most ISPs won't care what you do just as long as you're not drawing bandwidth from the line 24/7 or using too much bandwidth in your neighborhood (less common on DSL and Fiber, more common on cable). There are ways around the Port 80 block. Since almost all ISPs don't block any other ports but port 80 and 25, you should be able to set up the server's listen port to another port, forward the proper ports and be able to access it via IP + Port number, domain + port number or a Port 80 redirect domain.

First thing's first, you need to make sure the machine you're going to be hosting the site off of is fast enough, has an Ethernet connection (wireless can work, but it's a bit on the unreliable side if you have a lot of houses near you with routers), and is fully patched, cleaned up, and ready to go. You then need server software. Hand compiling and setting up stuff like Apache Web server, PHP, and MySQL is typically the best way to do this, but there are all-in-one instalers like XAMMP that are meant for developmental purposes, but can serve it's purpose. You then set up the PC with a static IP. Since IP addresses can change over time, you need to be able to have your server keep the same IP on your LAN to make sure that the port forward rules won't get screwed up in the future. You then need to port forward. I never recommend that you place your web server in the DMZ (which is made for TEMPORARY/gaming purposes only and is highly insecure, as it's lifting NAT and everything from that PC), as that's just asking for trouble and conflict with other things down the road. Forward only the ports needed to the server, set the router/modem to block ICMP incoming pings, and save.

Once this is set up, set up the server to retrieve your site from somewhere on the disk. Once this is set up, access your server locally using it's LAN IP address. If it loads and the server responds, great! If not, check your config. Once this is done, have a friend test your server connection. Give them everything needed, such as the port number the server is on and the IP address. If they can get onto it, then you're ready for the next step.

The next step is to set up your server with a Dynamic DNS domain name. There are services sucha s No-IP and DynDNS that willl give you such domain names for free. These domain names have the ability within a minute to change where the site is routed. Since you most likely don't have a Static WAN IP address, the domain name allows you to run a DynDNS updater that will check periodically your IP and sync it to the DNS server.

Hope this helps you if you're missing anything. I've ran home servers before. Also as a guide, very small sites can run fine on a 128kbps upstream connection, given they're not too image heavy. 386kbps can handle a fairly image heavy site with some users, and more is obviously more.

Last edited:

richm8026

Reaction score
Thanks, that sounds like a tedious task, and I do not know if Time Warner Cable has Static IP Addresses... Also, as you can probably see, my Upload isn't very fast at all, my download speed is awesome for my area, it's the fastest available I believe...

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks, that sounds like a tedious task, and I do not know if Time Warner Cable has Static IP Addresses... Also, as you can probably see, my Upload isn't very fast at all, my download speed is awesome for my area, it's the fastest available I believe...

What you're seeing on your download is Powerboost, a technology that takes idle bandwidth in your area and given your package on the Roadrunner connection, it will boost your speed for a few seconds to minutes based on network load. When running a speed test, you should try to kill PowerBoost by downloading something big before the test starts, and that'll give you your actual speed. Additionally, you can try the Java Speed test over at www.dslreports.com which should be able to make your connection transfer enough to kill PowerBoost off. The highest maintained download speed Time Warner has is 20Mbps (in New York City), 15Mbps (in most regions, often old old TWC areas or Adelphia areas) and 10Mbps in some areas. Upload, that can be anywhere from a max of 1-2Mbps.

If you want a static IP with Roadrunner, you need Time Warner Business Class for as far as I know. I'm a Verizon user so I couldn't tell you Time Warner's IP/link management practices off the bat. I can tell you speeds though.

Last edited: