Running programs as an administrator

dontbeajew

Reaction score
I'm trying to run a program from Windows XP service pack 3 and keep getting the access denied error. When I boot into safe mode tho, it runs just fine. How can I run this program with administrator access privileges ?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
In Windows XP, if you look under the Properties or look for a column labeled as "Run as Administrator," it should run when you click on the option. Otherwise, if you're logging in under the administrator account, you should not need to run anything with special privileges. That's only in Vista and Windows 7 when UAC is enabled. What is the name of the program you are trying to run? Does it mention which file is being denied?

dontbeajew

Reaction score
I'm trying to run a new trainer for Unreal Tournament 3. This is the error message I keep getting.

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

It does not mention which file is being denied.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to run a new trainer for Unreal Tournament 3. This is the error message I keep getting.

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

It does not mention which file is being denied.

Is it possible an antivirus is blocking said trainer? I know that Avast gives a popup when it's blocking, but if it's already shown the popup it'll just block it without giving a popup, and you'll get the same error.

dontbeajew

Reaction score
ya my anti virus was blocking it , so I made an exception for it. Even if I close AVG (my anti virus), I still get the same error.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
ya my anti virus was blocking it , so I made an exception for it. Even if I close AVG (my anti virus), I still get the same error.

Had a similar issue with avg; it seemed like AVG was doing something either to the file or to the OS to mark it as a virus so the os wouldn't even boot it anymore.

The only advice I can give is to try re-downloading the trainer with AVG offline if you're 100% sure it's not a viral trainer, then run it as a different exe name and see if it runs then. If not, something's actually broken on the trainer itself.

dontbeajew

Reaction score
I tried renaming it (I don't really see why that would work) and it still gave me the same error message. I know that the trainer is not corrupted or anything, because when I boot into safe mode and use the Administrator account it works.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Got me fully stumped then; usually for me re-downloading it as a new filename fixes the issue if the antivirus isn't running to begin with :S

dontbeajew

Reaction score
Thanks for the help livewire, but I don't think I'm going to get this trainer to work. I even tried using the CACLS command, in safe mode administrator, so I could modify the Access Control List, but even then it just told me that I didn't have access...