s4

Domenico

Reaction score
Please review my site.

http://s4.x10hosting.com/

If you have any comments on the design, graphics, colour scheme, html, feel, load time, organization, concept, whatever, feel free to say them.

I'll take everyone's comments into consideration and post the site again at a latter date after necessary changes have been made.

-Dom

Domenico

Reaction score
I hate to double post but... come on people! This topic has 550 views and not a singe reply! Do you people have a grudge against me or something? lol

Neurosylum

Reaction score
This is my first time to read the post. ^_^ Anyways, I've been in a simple layout mood lately, so, you get a 10/10 for the layout.

Banner: I like how you did the logo (glowy stuff is cool), but the background for the logo doesn't match to me. Rather than a kaleidoscope-looking pattern, why not try some gradients rather than a pattern? You can keep the ripple effect. The text is also a bit plain. If you don't want to overshadow the S4 logo but still have eye-catching text, you can do like a reflection effect (where the reflection is below it), or with your tag "Home of Dimensions", you can repeat the title 2-3 times, each time fading out. Overall, 6/10.

Graphic Content: Hate to say this, but...it's really sparse. No theme. The icons for the bullets look generic. If this is for graphic designers, you can come up with a theme or something, with matching bullets, colors, etc. The colors are another thing. When I first see the banner, I'm getting bold colors like black and royal blue, then when the whole page loads, it turns off-whitish. It's like you can't decide whether or not to make a bold statement or pastel-ish/soft colors. 4/10.

Please don't hate me. Or hurt me...*cringe*

Last edited:

Domenico

Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but there's no way of doing that with the text in the logo. The text is not in the logo, it's over it, in the html. All web browsers would display the text slightly differently, some would make the space between letter greater, some would make the font not anti-aliased and some would make it have a slightly different font. So if I where to make a reflection of it in the image it would never be perfect.

"Graphic Content: Hate to say this, but...it's really sparse" Yeah, but that's what makes it load so fast. (5.4secons at T1 1.44Mbps)

I'll consider making the site look more bold. It's hard for me to sprinkle around sexy images, what with the nature or the site. It will take a lot of bandwidth when it really gets into full gear so I try to make a conservative design.

Neurosylum

Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but there's no way of doing that with the text in the logo. The text is not in the logo, it's over it, in the html. All web browsers would display the text slightly differently, some would make the space between letter greater, some would make the font not anti-aliased and some would make it have a slightly different font. So if I where to make a reflection of it in the image it would never be perfect.

"Graphic Content: Hate to say this, but...it's really sparse" Yeah, but that's what makes it load so fast. (5.4secons at T1 1.44Mbps)

I'll consider making the site look more bold. It's hard for me to sprinkle around sexy images, what with the nature or the site. It will take a lot of bandwidth when it really gets into full gear so I try to make a conservative design.

Didn't know what you were going for. I'll keep that in mind.

By creating a reflection effect, I was talking more of graphics rather than doing that on your browser. Kind of like my Wordpress blog. However, if you don't mind not seeing a title if someone wants an RSS feed, you can put a "space" or that %nsbp or whatever symbol on the title, and then you're free to do whatever you want with the lettering by making it a part of your banner (using photoshop/GIMP/etc). But remember, it won't be a clickable link, and two, there will be no title for your site. But I guess that would be fixable if you had a "Home" link somewhere else.
ex: http://neurosylum.pcriot.com/blog (I don't know if the site's working yet, but as you can see, I took off the title and tag line.)

Well, I don't know what your site will wholly be about, but you can always show one cropped picture of whatever your site's about, place it on the banner or the side, and that would probably be the only image on your front page that'll take up the bandwidth and it's not even going to be big. Black is always sexy and bold, so mix it up with that glowing blue color (that you have going on in your banner) and you can create matching paragraph dividers/bullets/icons. Also you can sprinkle your page with a few shades of gray of added dialogue boxes, etc.

Just pleaaase promise me you'll get rid of the off-white color. Off-white plus black does not equal sexy. lol

Daniel S

Reaction score
The website took a while to load for me. And you could do with installing a non-default style. The template of your main site is simple and might have too naby blank (white spaces) and could you tell us what the site is for.

At the moment I would rate it 5/10

Domenico

Reaction score
[...]and could you tell us what the site is for.

It's pretty straight forward. The idea is that people with graphic fabrication skills will make images and submit them to the site. I got inspiration for the idea from this site: www.worm.bluesfear.com. Look at that site. Basically I'm doing the same thing but on a larger scale, no one has contributed yet and it's free to submit images.

To better illustrate it, look at this diagram I made.
animationdemtf9.gif

The colours in the middle represent the walls.