Safe and Free File Host

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good Safe and Free file host where I can store my computer back ups?

Many have told me that using the Gmail Storage is a good way, but I was wondering if anyone knew a better (preferably bigger) storage site.

Thank you ahead of time.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Mozy backup is THE way to go. You get the first 2 GB free, (if you sign up through my referral link you'll get 2.25 GB) and after you fill that up, which depending on what you use the backups for will probably be never, it's $5 a month for unlimited space. They've got a windows program that automatically backs up what ever folders/files you want on a regular basis, and has them available for download on their secure servers. The url is http://mozy.com

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Mozy backup is THE way to go. You get the first 2 GB free, (if you sign up through my referral link you'll get 2.25 GB) and after you fill that up, which depending on what you use the backups for will probably be never, it's $5 a month for unlimited space. They've got a windows program that automatically backs up what ever folders/files you want on a regular basis, and has them available for download on their secure servers. The url is http://mozy.com

I'm a SkyDrive user. I haven't been able to find any auto backup program for it, but I assume there's something sitting in Vista that I could use to back my files up to SkyDrive. As of right now, they only allow 50MB per file upload, but it comes with 25GB of free space and is pretty quick in terms of speeds. Mozy I found was pretty slow when it came to downloading files, despite uploads being quick, but they are reliable. Before I used to use Xdrive which despite some issues from time to time as well as an incompatibility with their standard uploader and Firefox 3, they gave 5GB of disk space for free, had a program that would upload files basically directly from Windows Explorer, and had fast enough servers to handle a 20Mbps+ connection.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm a SkyDrive user. I haven't been able to find any auto backup program for it, but I assume there's something sitting in Vista that I could use to back my files up to SkyDrive. As of right now, they only allow 50MB per file upload, but it comes with 25GB of free space and is pretty quick in terms of speeds. Mozy I found was pretty slow when it came to downloading files, despite uploads being quick, but they are reliable. Before I used to use Xdrive which despite some issues from time to time as well as an incompatibility with their standard uploader and Firefox 3, they gave 5GB of disk space for free, had a program that would upload files basically directly from Windows Explorer, and had fast enough servers to handle a 20Mbps+ connection.

Yeah, mozy is slow in downloading, but since it's only supposed to be a backup and not a file forum or other sharing site, it's adequite. But mozy does offer to send you a DVD in the mail with all your files on it. They'll overnight it to you! But I think the whole DVD costs something like $19
so downloading is better if you're not in a hurry. And I average about 50 kbps a second anyways, so I don't really have any problem with their servers right now:lol:

But I picked mozy because of their reliability and also because they've got a great program for uploading.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Hmmm they all sound good...

I have herd a lot about SkyDrive, and Mozys backup program would be useful....

I will have to think about it... Returning soon...

Blazer9131

Reaction score
Mediafire.com

or

Rapidshare.com 100MB limit free users

Both are free, but downloading on rapidshare on a non-premium site gives you slow speeds and a few seconds wait time.

Mediafire is insane, and fast+free.

~Blaze

Zdroyd

Reaction score
I used MediaFire before, but I do not trust if it is safe...

Hmmm... I looked at it and Mozy looks really good...

But does "Mozy Home" work on a flash drive? (In case I decide to download something away from home.)

Here are the choices I am considering:

>Media Fire (But is it safe?)
>Mozy

Edit:

I chose Mozy...

ichwar can you give me your Referal Code, ASAP.

Last edited:

Blazer9131

Reaction score
Umm, Media fire is safe, you can set your files to be private or public.. Never heard of Mozy thou.. I'd rather trust Larger names than that...

~Blaze

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Lol...
See that problem I have with MediaFire is that it does not even have you validate your email or anything, all you do is "Enter Email and Password" and your registered just like that!

It seems too unprofessional compared to all the safety procedures most site have now days.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
hello zdroyd
here's my referal code: https://mozy.com/?ref=BJUY41
as long as you sign up directly from that page (optionally, enter the email address timothy[dot]hellwig[at]gmail[dot]com) in the refferer box you will get and extra 1/4 GB free.

Good Luck!

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Yea....
I already signed up... and now I can't use you as a referral... Hmmmm....

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yea....
I already signed up... and now I can't use you as a referral... Hmmmm....

Oh well. If you can get people to sign up under you, you'll get 0.25 gb for each person.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Yea... If I could find anyone...

Anyone want to sign up under me? (I will have to add a link to my signature.)

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No no, every one sign up under me! lol ;)