Search Engine Optimization

jmaverick

Reaction score
Hello,

Wondering if anyone has tips for getting sites ranked better in search engines.

Thanks in advance

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
1. Make sure you have good content that has a relatively consistent theme.
2. Get links to your site on other sites, Google will use this in their Pagerank algorithm
3. Submit a sitemap and other details at Google Webmaster Tools or submit your site URL

There are hundreds of other things that will contribute to a good search engine ranking and there are also hundreds of pages outlining these tips

priyaa161

Reaction score
have your site link on your signature and make as many post as you can in your free time. This will also give a nice amount of back-links which will help you achieve high page rank in Google. To post here has many more benefits. You can offer people to register in your site for credit (which will be back soon). And also if you'll become paragon or community leader you'll have your account in staff's server. I think it is double benefit for the members. There may be lot more but as I'm new here I don't know much about it.

mrjbates50

Reaction score
2. Get links to your site on other sites, Google will use this in their Pagerank algorithm

I would like to make a few pointers in regards to the above quoted blanket statement, in hopes that they can be of help and clarity.

First, all links are not equal. Some are of great benefit and others not so much or even none at all, in regards to matters SEO.

Those links that are of most benefit in an SEO sense are those that are gained naturally. That is, a link back to a page on ones own site that is gained naturally, through not asking for it or placing it there oneself, but instead placed there simply because the person doing so saw the relational value of it, will be of most benefit in PR factoring.

This is what (most of) the SE's want in their index, natural organically grown results, non manipulated by sources outside their own algorithms. It allows them to produce results that most closely match what humans are searching for. And if they accomplish that their bottom line increases. It is only logical. And, it is what they suggest within their guidelines.

Therefore, it only makes sense that naturally gained links will be of most benefit in PR factoring.

This goes along with the "content is king" theory of SEO. Content is king simply means that a site with more original closely themed content than other sites will naturally attract more un-asked for links back which in turn will give it more "authority" status in the eyes of the search engines (as well as humans) which in turn leads to a greater PR factor.

In other words, if you have the biggest baddest site out there, more humans will be attracted to it and more humans are going to want to place links to it on their sites, which makes it in the eyes of the search engines a more authoratative entity and therefore makes them want to give it more value, hence a higher PR value.

So, more closely themed original content is more authoratative, and more closely themed original content attracts more natural (un-asked for) links back = a better page rank.

Those links that are manipulated by humans (those seeking to increase page rank through unnatural means) will either have much less PR value or simply be ignored completely by the SE's algorithms, more than likely the latter.

I will say that there are some instances where it makes sense to seek or place links back. These are manipulated by human links. They are of value but that value is in a business sense rather than for SEO benefit.

So, with all due respect, just saying to "get links to your site on other sites" is neither clear nor concise as a blanket statement and can actually be non-productive if not gone about in the right way or for the wrong reasons.

Hope this helps! :smile:

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

have your site link on your signature and make as many post as you can in your free time. This will also give a nice amount of back-links which will help you achieve high page rank in Google.

Unfortunately, or fortunately as one may see it (I'm in the latter group) this is a fallacy.

Search engine algorithms will simply discount forum signature links in placing any PR benefit to the linked back page.

It is only common sense. SE's want natural organic results that produce the most relevant results for their end users, us humans searching for all manner of things and stuff. If we get them we will come back and use that search engine again and again. That increases the search engines market share and revenue generating capability.

Back in the day, Joe Schmoe figured out that links back were part of the SE's algorithm and then figured that any back link could increase his PR and hence his ranking in the SE's and hence his own market share and revenue capability. So he went out and placed or asked for as many back links as he could, willy nilly, all over the interweb. Viola! It worked! Soon he was raking in the dough and was a very happy camper.

However, he didn't take into account that it would also affect the bottom line of the SE's (as well as other Internet business entities, you and I included). They, those horribly selfish fiends working at the search engines, didn't want their results pages manipulated by Mr. Schmoe, nor anybody else with a beating heart, as it could skew their index through the very manipulation 'ol Joe had instigated and that they had overlooked.

So, they got to work, figured out how to tweak their algos back to a more naturally derived result and henceforth those ill-gotten link backs no longer worked. Everything was right in the interworld and everybody was happy again. Well, except for old man Schmoe. He never figured that in his want for more "traffic" (which was exactly what he was looking for and exactly what he got) that he would be affecting more than his little 'ol self.

And therein lies the rub. What, exactly, is one attempting to gain when seeking back links? Traffic? More traffic? ANY old traffic? Yeppers.

Let's take a look at this theory of increased traffic through gaining unnatural back links.

OK, so one wants more traffic to ones site. This is a natural desire and one which most site owners have thought about to one degree or more.

So, what is traffic exactly, and how will it be of greatest benefit to the site owner?

Traffic, in general is simply one, anyone whom visits a site. Is this a good thing? Maybe. But is there a more effective definition? A definition that means more sales, service, information dissemination? Me thinks there is....

What one really wants is targeted traffic. Targeted means the type of visitor who is more inclined to be interested in what is contained in or presented within the site. These types of visitors, this type of traffic, will have a higher propensity towards making a positive action on the site once they have navigated there. Whether it be the sale of goods or services, joining a community, or simply benefiting from the dissemination of information contained therein, they are more likely to do what you created the site for in the first place, as compared to just any old non-targeted traffic.

And this is the whole idea behind SEM (Search Engine Marketing - a subset of which is SEO). To increase ROI (Return On Investment). It is always more cost effective to create targeted traffic rather than trying to get those whom aren't interested in the goods, services or information one offers to buy or peruse these things. The percentages and cost effectiveness studies prove this out.

Especially in a media where ones direct vision (the Internet made up of billions of sites within clicks reach versus only what one can directly reach in other media) the concept of targeting becomes a huge factor and can relate to huge costs per end result.

I could go on and on about this but then I would be digressing from the original topic of my reply. Forum signatures (and signatures on other social type media) are rightly discounted by search engine algorithms or completely ignored where PR is concerned. It only makes sense. Most signatures containing links, being that they are contained in posts that are most likely not related to the linked back pages' topic, are simply not relevant to the results pages the search engines produce given a specific query.

And more importantly, these types of links can be manipulative and henceforth can skew the naturally occurring results. I for one, don't want to see the search engines results pages degraded by unrelated and predatory linking schemes. I believe that many who have heard this strategy works are simply misguided innocents so I try to put forth alternate ways of thought and alternative strategies that can actually benefit.

Hope this helps! :smile:

radiogrooves81

Reaction score
I started a popular acapella & instrumetal site back in 2007 with paid hosting and we are currently pagerank 3... it takes years to get good PR's.

I spent hours posting links on forums sites and in signatures. The most effective way I found was to make a blogpage at blog.com and post quality content, links and downloads that linked back to my main site. basicly promote your site when and wher you can. I even search google for similar site to my own and email the webmasters & site owners for link exchange, or even just posting links to other sites to.

Last edited: