Secure Text - Copy Proof Text

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Is it possible to set a group of text, or an Iframe, so that the user can Not copy it?

I plan to place my short stories on my site, and I do not want people copy and pasting it to redistribute. I know it is possible to make it a jpeg image, but that would waist too much memory.

Is it possible to make Copy Proof Text? (Preferably something simple.)

Thanks ahead of time.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
There are right click disable javascripts, but it is impossible to disable someone from viewing the source code to your site. Even for an Iframe, they can track down the page that contains the code and view the source.

Code:
<p class="blahblahblah">Even if the text looks like this</p>
<br />
<h1>You can still figure out a way to delete the tags and copy it</h1>

You'd have to use some sort of plugin, ie flash, silverlight, java where the text is not selectable and the source code is invisible. Even still, the user can take screenshots and if they really want to they can transcribe it.

Long story short, if anyone can read your stories, they can copy them if they really want to. The amount of protection you put up just makes it more annoying to do.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
There are right click disable javascripts, but it is impossible to disable someone from viewing the source code to your site. Even for an Iframe, they can track down the page that contains the code and view the source.

Code:
<p class="blahblahblah">Even if the text looks like this</p>
<br />
<h1>You can still figure out a way to delete the tags and copy it</h1>

You'd have to use some sort of plugin, ie flash, silverlight, java where the text is not selectable and the source code is invisible. Even still, the user can take screenshots and if they really want to they can transcribe it.

Long story short, if anyone can read your stories, they can copy them if they really want to. The amount of protection you put up just makes it more annoying to do.

Is there anyway to slow them down? Just to make it more difficult so someone can not simply Copy Paste?

Is there a way I can just make the Iframe non-copyable? So the only way they could get it is if they loaded the Iframes Page?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, your first line of defense would be to disable right click (for copying and pasting directly), it's explained well in this article:

http://javascript.about.com/library/blnoright.htm

Iframes will make the source not directly viewable, but really don't do too much to bolster the security of the text. It adds one more annoyance for a potential thief to overcome.

Another thought occurs to me; when the GD library is recompiled into the php configuration, you can use this to dynamically create images from text. This will be moderately difficult to code but if you are very worried about people stealing from you, you may want the extra level of protection.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
before you disable right click you might want to check out this article
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/dont-disable-right-click/

to me, I have it when people disable right click because I use the right click very often, esp where there is a link and I want it to open in a new tab. in FF (right click > Open in new tab)

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
@diablo I agree completely and that's in the article I posted. But, short of converting the text to some other format, these few annoyances are the only thing you can do to try to curb plagiarism. Really, if someone can read something in any way, they can simple write it down and copy it that way.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
@diablo I agree completely and that's in the article I posted. But, short of converting the text to some other format, these few annoyances are the only thing you can do to try to curb plagiarism. Really, if someone can read something in any way, they can simple write it down and copy it that way.

And for that matter it wouldn't surprise me if there's apps available that can read the text off of a jpeg anyways - bots use them to get past poorly designed Captcha's.

Besides, disabling right-click only works if the user doesn't -disable- javascript. If it's disabled, right click works, and you're back to an unprotected site.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Plus there is the fact that you don't need to right click to copy text. Control-C works the same way.

josephilipraja

Reaction score
... and in browsers like firefox they by default dont allow scripts which tries to disable / change the context menu..

check Firefox=>Tools=>Options=>Content=>Advanced - Next to "Enable Javascript" Option

there is an option to allow scripts which tries to disable or change right click menu (context menu).. by default it is not enabled...

so to those who use firefox and dont bother to enable that option can use your site without any problems... i dont know about other browsers... some may block it too...

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
He's not trying to make his site impenetrable, just secure against the casual plagiarist. It does state in both articles that there are easy workarounds.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Thank you for all the good points and suggestions.

I think I am just going to have to depend on the decency of the Human Race, and maybe place a "Copyright of Zdroyd's Creations" at the bottom of each chapter...

Thanks anyways.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
How about an area for members only? Then, at least, you limit the exposure of your work.