Send some help over to free hosting to prevent a tarnished image

trossin

Reaction score
I understand that free hosting is free and you get what you pay for but things are out of control to the point where I think your free hosting service is making your paid service look like a risky endeavor. Here are my observations:

1. Many user’s files have been lost (and their seems to be no back up which was claimed to exist).
  2. Many users including myself have had their site missing for over a month
  3. There is a constant stream of complaints of various features being broken that used to work
  4. Issues do not seem to get resolved in a timely manner (I’ve been waiting over a week to have my account deleted so that I can recreate it).
  5. Priority is set to low for users who have had their data lost and can’t get their accounts reestablished. A Month+ delay is unacceptable.

For me, the only answer is to move on and go to a paid hosting service (which I was planning on converting to in the next few months). I will not be choosing x10hosting.

I just wanted to let you know that you lost me as a paying customer due to your lack of support in your free hosting area. I know people will say it was free so get over it. I don’t think that is fair as x10hosting gets advertising from all the free content that users provide and external links to the free domains which will draw customers to their paid service.

I wish you all the best and hope that you get things worked out.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I understand your frustration. Unfortunately as you've noticed paid services have priority over free hosting. We have more paid hosting servers than we do free and they also went through the migration that free hosting went through. We migrated our last server just a couple of days ago for a total time of 45 days from start to finish and we still have a lot of work to do getting everything settled not only with free, but with paid hosting. We're currently fine tuning a script that will wipe out all accounts that no longer exist so people have the option to re-signup if they do not want to wait for the results of the backups.

Regarding backups for free hosting, we did and do possibly still have them. Included in the move was also our backup servers, the backup software we use does not just copy the files to the server. Each server has a 'volume' made up of misc files that can only be read by the backup software. For whatever reason it is having issues reading them, sometimes we can get a listing of files and pull some out, sometimes we can't. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes just to error out. So, we could just say they are all lost right now but I'm not 100% sure they are.

Regarding the amount of people you see with issues, of our overall customer base it is a very small amount. We get roughly 1,000 new sign-ups each day and have well over 50,000 active hosting accounts. Unfortunately most people only come to the forums when they have an issue, so that is why it may look like a lot.

spadija

Reaction score
Glad to hear you're working on wiping out the garbage accounts. After recreating my account, cPanel has been giving me trouble about parking a domain, saying it's already parked by another user. It sounds like what you're working on should fix it. Thanks!

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We hope to run it tomorrow evening if everything goes as planned.