Separation of Church & State --> Gay Marriage Debate?

TheLoon

Reaction score
Growing up, I attended several parochial schools of differing denominations, and from what I can tell, the definition of marriage according to most religions might be an issue of contention here. I guess what I mean to ask is:
Do you think the government assumed the heterosexual definition of marriage due to the overwhelming Christian religious-majority in the States?
Do you think the issue would be better understood if a federal definition of marriage (for tax purposes, etc.) was considered separate from a religious definition (civil unions/"marriage licenses" vs. the pomp and ceremony found in religious, ceremonial marriages)? Or would that just snarl the issue immensely?

fractalfeline

Reaction score
I just think it's rather interesting, funny, and yet sad, that this topic has gotten less replies than Ninja v. Pirate. I wonder what it means? Is Ninja v. Pirate easier to debate because it's not serious? Are people afraid to debate this important topic because it involves two touchy subjects: government and religion? Is it because this topic has been done to death already, and no one cares about rehashing past unresolved debates?

Just like the number of licks it takes to reach the center of the tootsie pop, the world... may never know.

Last edited: