Serious problems with site hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkpoliticsuk66

Reaction score
Domain name www.ministryoftruth.me.uk

Everything was working fine when I went to bed 7 hours ago.

Checked my site this morning to find that the entire file contents of the wp-admin, wp-content and wp-includes folders, and all subfolders, appear to disappeared or have been deleted overnight.

The folder structures are still there but logging on the the site via FTP shows that all the directories are empty.

Note. I have not tried to run the Wordpress 3.11 update.

I also cannot log into Cpanel at all - all I get is a message stating that a fatal error or timeout has occurred.

My account is not currently suspended, so I am at a complete loss to understand WTF has happened here.

UPDATE

Weird - the front end of my blog is now visible and working fine, and I can access the backend via the Wordpress toolbar, but attempting to gain direct access via the admin URL give only a directory listing ???

Cpanel is, however, still fubar...

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

Cpanel's now back up and running but I've got the read only file system problem and my site is returning only blank pages other than the home page, which delivers a cached page from yesterday.

Last edited:

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello!

You ,along with many fellow x10 members, are facing Read Only File System (RO-FS)situation.

Cache/temp/logs are all RW(rewrite) dependent.

Hence, you are being delivered an old cached page from yesterday.

talkpoliticsuk66

Reaction score
Hello!

You ,along with many fellow x10 members, are facing Read Only File System (RO-FS)situation.

Cache/temp/logs are all RW(rewrite) dependent.

Hence, you are being delivered an old cached page from yesterday.

Okay, so now I'm completely perplexed.

As far as I can tell, the read only file system problem has cleared - I've just managed to delete a redundant readme file from the main directory.

However, on trying to access my site all I'm getting is an empty document (in Firefox) while using view source in IE gives a very basic empty page with head and body tags and no content.

It cannot solely be a caching issue as its only the front end of my site that's cached and I have no backend access at all either.

I did wonder whether this was a matter of php not leading/executing, so I tried to run a basic testscript (i.e. phpinfo()) and got an error message to say that the function is block for security reasons, which tells me that at least the http server is doing something.

Changed the testscript to echo 'hello world' and that works, so its not PHP.

Uploaded the Wordpress 3.11 updated via FTP, just in case its there any file corruption issues.

That worked just fine and I'm now getting a response from the site, even its only a database connection error, and as I made absolutely sure that wp-config.php wasn't touched.

Accessed the DB via Cpanel - bit slow in places but check db says everything's okay and I can access the DB via phpmyadmin, but I'm still getting the connection error despite not having altered any of the config settings.

Tried to workaround by adding a new DB user, in case there's a problem with the existing user - Cpanel tells me its added the user just fine but nothing shows up after the okay message.

So, something seems to be borked between the http server and Mysql, but I'm buggered if I can work out what it is.

I did cop an automated account suspension for high usage yesterday, which is understandable given that filesystem problems were preventing the site from caching. I cleared that and it said it worked okay, so my account is unsuspended, so I'm womdering if that might have caused an issue.

Otherwise, I have functional wordpress installation and a functional database which just won't talk to each other at the moment, even though the settings are correct in the wp-config file and haven't altered since before the site crashed, so I'm buggered I can figure out what's wrong.

The only thing I can think of is that for some reason the localhost loopback is borked, which would explain why the site cannot connect to the db, but I can get to it via cpanel and phpmyadmin.

any ideas?

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Okay, all fixed now.

Managed to create a new DB user and updated wp-config to match - that's fixed the problem, so its the other db user that's borked.

You can close this off now, thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.