Server consolidation and move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Giving everyone an update. We're about to consolidate some of our servers as they are very under utilized. Since I am still paying about $400\mo out of pocket and there are some really great server deals out there right now I've decided to move the servers around and consolidate them.

Business Server -> Same server, same company, better deal.
Sustained Server to be consolidated into the free hosting server.
Ad-free server to be moved to the sustained server.

So we'll be cutting our current server count down to 3 servers. With an overall savings of about $250\mo. The transition time is set at 10 days. Once we get more sign-ups I will add another server to handle it, but currently we're handling the sign-ups quite well.

With the server consolidation I'm also updating the forums and figuring out some ways to better pull income in to x10. We will officially launch our services along with weekly contests. We are also in the process of recoding the x10Cash portion of the site so look out for that.

ns1.x10hosting.com will be changing IPs, so if you use the IP you will need to update that with your domain registrar. Once I change it I'll post in the news the new IP.

There are many changes coming, we're moving slowly but we're getting there ;)

Feel free to ask questions.

-Corey

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Everything sounds great. I only wish I could convince you to change to the more popular SMF software for the forum. ;) lol. Take your time with the changes we will all be waiting. I think you should consider SMF to be one of the changes you make, lol. I know I know it will never happen but I thought I would throw it out there, lol. :)

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Is it possible to send a global PM or global email to all the members? This is quite important, and we don't want users to swarm us with posts due to the fact they haven't been keeping up with the news

zero5854

Reaction score
What do you mean by "switching to a sustained server" example ad free hosting?

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
What do you mean by "switching to a sustained server" example ad free hosting?

We have a server we called the "Sustained" server. All accounts on that server will be moved to the "Free" server. To cut down on server usage.

scheols

Reaction score
So what exactly do I do?

my domain is using ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com. Just go into my registrar and resubmit?

swirly

Reaction score
An idea for income. As everyone knows, we have some talented designers and coders in the community. I think that we should start a shop like some other places have done and sell shirts and hats and things. the designs would be free, it would just cost to print them. or maybe you could get an investor? idk just an idea. i think this has been suggested before. but the designs could be of code, or a logo for x10. it would also help with advertising.

cyberxzt

Zine Tech
Reaction score
ok a couple questions, they will probably sound newbie but,

You said the transfer time will be 10 days, so im thinking thats how long the transfer will take in approximately right?

second, when will it start.

third, how much downtime would an have?

thx in advanced

DizzyTechnology

Reaction score
I thought the point of the sustained server was to reward users in good standing... :-(

But, hey, as long as my service quality is the same, I'll be happy. I'll keep up to check on the IPs.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
The transfer will probably take 3 days or so, possibly longer. It could be done in one day but that would be rushing and that is never good.

I'll either start tomorrow or Monday. There shouldn't be any downtime.

-Corey
Edit:
The point of the sustained is correct but there are not enough interested members, so paying $180 for a server isn't economical to only put 50 non paying members on ;)

If x10 gets more popular and we get that many new people we will definitely revisit the idea.

-Corey

Last edited:

Shadow121

Reaction score
Everything sounds great. I only wish I could convince you to change to the more popular SMF software for the forum. ;) lol. Take your time with the changes we will all be waiting. I think you should consider SMF to be one of the changes you make, lol. I know I know it will never happen but I thought I would throw it out there, lol. :)

I think that using SMF would be a great Idea. You could also talk with the dev team and see if they would be willing to let you use the SMF 2.0 Beta 1 on here. I LOVE how it looks and it would be a nice change.

scheols

Reaction score
SMF sucks for support, a lot of like some features but hate the style, and doesn't have ANY good themes.

I backed up my SQL just in case though :).

zero5854

Reaction score
So does this mean the x10 free users will lose some speed on these servers? Or are you just getting a smaller service (space) bc there isnt enough users?

Hosting4Life

Reaction score
I hope this won't affect our websites connection speed. If the speed stays the same, it would be AWESOME. :biggrin:

Zenax

Reaction score
You shouldn't lose any speed, the service will be just as fast as normal. They are removing one server to save up on server usage, and also help Corey to afford all of this.

Without him, there would be no x10hosting.

MSchumacher1

Reaction score
Sounds good Corey thanks for the update, i'll need the new ns1.x10hosting IP as i use them.

Thanks again for great support offered by x10.

nol888

Reaction score
Awww, no more sustained server. Just work on keeping the free server up and I'm happy though. ^_^

R

roach6390

What do I need to do to get my site back and running? Whenever I make a change to a file via FTP, it does not show up on the website.

Also, would it kill you to send out an E-Mail to at least your paying customers? I want web hosting, not to be part of a community... and apparently I need to frequent this forum if I want to know why my website suddenly stops working.

I am in the middle of a huge awards contest endorsed by a multi-million dollar company and my website is the center of it all. I NEED TO MAKE UPDATES TO IT, and at the moment I can't. When I first came here, I thought that it may be professional, but I am very obviously mistaken. I may in the near future cancel my subscription in favor of a professional hosting service. But at the moment, there is a lot of money on the line because I can't update my website, and I need to ASAP.

I'm freaking out because I don't know what to do and I'd rather not get fired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.