Server files' domain(s) question

lostcommander

Reaction score
If we have a parked domain, how can we tell which domain our files are in/under?

Do we need to do anything since the recent data center move to re-identify domains?

I am asking these questions because I had phpBB + WordPress + WP-United installed and working a month ago and have had to re-install stuff because of issues. When I was reinstalling though, I encountered this warning/error which I had not before and am trying to discern what it means.

Code:
WARNING: The Base WordPress URL you entered appears to be on a different domain or subdomain than phpBB.

The one difference in installation from last time was that I did it all by hand before and used Fantastico for WordPress this time. Fantastico in cPanel correctly identifies the WordPress install as being in my parked domain. The phpBB install is still the original I did by hand and thus does not show up in Fantastico.

This is confusing to me because, to my knowledge, nothing should be able to know the difference between user.x10domain.tld and domain.tld since they point to the same server, right? I have also never heard of how to create or use a sub-domain (not that I want to right now), so I might be missing some important information for understanding how this stuff works. Thank you very much for your time.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
I believe that each of the software has a configuration file that sets the "official URL" of the site.
Apparently one points to user.x10domain.tld and the other points to domain.tld and the install noted the difference.

I would look at the configuration.php or settings.php file for the software and make sure it points to the "official URL" that you want.

lostcommander

Reaction score
Thank you, descalzo, for the suggestion. Unfortunately this was not the case as the MySQL database, the config/settings PHP files, and the administration control panels for both WordPress and phpBB specify www.domain.tld, as I believe they ought to.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
If we have a parked domain, how can we tell which domain our files are in/under?
Mu. Files can be accessed through many domains, they are equally "in/under" all of them. The A1 and M1 both lead to London.

This is confusing to me because, to my knowledge, nothing should be able to know the difference between user.x10domain.tld and domain.tld since they point to the same server, right?
user.x10domain.tld and domain.tld might resolve to the same server, but they are different domains. Consider that the X10 servers are mostly shared servers; the host name of every site on your server resolves to that server, but they are still distinguishable as sites. Under the hood, this is done with name-based virtual hosts, which in turn depends on the HTTP "Host" header. WP and phpBB similarly check the Host header for incoming requests.

The error indicates that either WP and phpBB are configured differently somewhere, or that you're using the wrong hostname in the URL when accessing a resource. I don't have enough information about what action is generating the error to say for certain, but the former is the most likely scenario, given the message. You'll need to keep digging through the configuration sources; check whether any config data is stored in a database. You can also go through the script that generates the error to see where it's getting its data.

I have also never heard of how to create or use a sub-domain (not that I want to right now), so I might be missing some important information for understanding how this stuff works.
A subdomain of a domain has the latter as a suffix. "www.domain.tld" is a subdomain of "domain.tld", "sales.wales.widgets.co.uk" is a subdomain of "wales.widgets.co.uk" and "widgets.co.uk". At the DNS level, a subdomain gets its own DNS records; it will likely have a CNAME or an A record. You can create subdomains in cPanel in a similar manner to creating parked or add-on domains. As for usage, you could alias "forums.domain.tld" to "domain.tld/forums".

Last edited:

lostcommander

Reaction score
GAH! ... Okay, finally resolved THIS issue:

Fantastico auto-installed my stuff to domain.tld and I kept trying to use www.domain.tld because that is what I used before and I never even noticed that when I typed in an address www.domain... that it was dropping the 'www' part. *sigh*

Thank you very much, descalzo and mission.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
***Moved to Scripts & 3rd Party Apps***