Server Side Includes and Dreamweaver

kirtik

Reaction score
Basically, I want to add SSIs to my site so I have to do less programming. I created footer.html and used <!--#include virtual="includes/footer.html"--> to embed it into index.html in dreamweaver - but this just breaks my div tags in the code display. Help?

Edit:
problem solved. Saved as index.shtml instead. :) lock pls.

Edit 2:
Problem again. Dreamweaver still breaks code D: Looks fine in ff though :s

Now I'm getting an [an error occurred while processing this directive] error in my site preview. :/

The test page is here: http://www.rikkit.co.uk/newsite/index.shtml

Problem solved, I think. made the ssi relative to the site root. Works in ff but still messed up in dreamweaver. :( The SSI #include makes dw think the code is invalid >_< help?

EDIT 12: Finally fixed, I hope. deleted all the head and body tagss in the ssi file. displays properly now. *sigh*

Last edited:

freecrm

Reaction score
Basically, I want to add SSIs to my site so I have to do less programming. I created footer.html and used <!--#include virtual="includes/footer.html"--> to embed it into index.html in dreamweaver - but this just breaks my div tags in the code display. Help?

Edit:
problem solved. Saved as index.shtml instead. :) lock pls.

Edit 2:
Problem again. Dreamweaver still breaks code D: Looks fine in ff though :s

Now I'm getting an [an error occurred while processing this directive] error in my site preview. :/

The test page is here: http://www.rikkit.co.uk/newsite/index.shtml

Problem solved, I think. made the ssi relative to the site root. Works in ff but still messed up in dreamweaver. :( The SSI #include makes dw think the code is invalid >_< help?

EDIT 12: Finally fixed, I hope. deleted all the head and body tagss in the ssi file. displays properly now. *sigh*

LOL - wish I'd seen this earlier and I could have told you to strip out the head tags from the include!

Just a word of caution when using DW ssi's..

When the page is parsed and has an error, it will show the error code line number BUT - with ssi's, it makes this tricky becuase it also includes the number of lines in the included file!