Server side includes

lydia09

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I just have a quick general question, and searching the forums hasn't given me a clear answer. Can x10hosting handle server side includes in HTML? If anyone could answer this, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Lydia

as4s1n

Reaction score
Are you talking about php includes? Yes of course they have those here.

lydia09

Reaction score
Hi as4s1n,

No, I'm not talking about PHP includes; I'm talking about this type:

<!-- #include virtual="myFile.html" -->

Thanks,
Lydia

as4s1n

Reaction score
Yes, ASP works on this host but it's a tricky setup. I don't want to bother with it so I just use PHP but you will have to look around to find it.

lydia09

Reaction score
Thanks again,
If the setup is that tough, I'll have to give it some more thought. Thanks for the info, though.
Thanks,
Lydia

as4s1n

Reaction score
I don't know whether it's hard per se, it's just more work than I really wanted to do.

as4s1n

Reaction score
Isn't it both? Cuz the little I know about ASP is includes

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Server side includes were introduced by NCSA HTTPd sometime before 1997, the precursor to Apache's httpd. Actually, considering Apache has supported SSI since at least 1996, NCSA HTTPd must have had it before that. IIS includes support for SSI, but ASP is an entirely separate technology.

@lydia09: It'd be odd for a server not to support SSI. Remember, you can always try something to see if it works.

Last edited:

rdurost

Reaction score
Hi as4s1n,

No, I'm not talking about PHP includes; I'm talking about this type:

<!-- #include virtual="myFile.html" -->

Thanks,
Lydia

Hi Lydia-

I'm just trying SSIs today for the first time myself, and I discovered that the secret is to give all the files which contain includes an extension that begins with "S", e.g. .shtm, .shtml, etc.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Side_Includes

"In order for a web server to recognize an SSI-enabled HTML file and therefore carry out these instructions, either the filename should end with a special extension, by default .shtml, .stm, .shtm, or, if the server is configured to allow this, set the execution bit of the file."

Have fun!

Richard