Setting Boarders in Photoshop for exact measurements

kim_foxx

Reaction score
I purchased A4 paper that has a boarder around it. I measured the boarder with a ruler and it's 3cm from all sides (left, right, top, bottom).
I added rulers in photoshop 3cm from all sides so i know where the pre-defined boarders are so i can print inside them but when i print from photoshop it seems that the measurements in the program and on the paper are different because my prints seem abit bigger and get printed on the boarder.

Is there something I should know when measuring paper and trying to replicate the dimensions in photoshop?

Thanks.

learning_brain

Reaction score
Interesting question and one that I too have had problems with.

Is your printer borderless?

If so, they tend to enlarge images ever so slightly. This is to ensure that the image overlaps the edge of the paper.

If it's not borderless, you shouldn't have a major issue providing you print "actual size" and not enlarged or "fit to page".

Let me know a bit more...

Richard

kim_foxx

Reaction score
My printer is not borderless.
Maybe my image dimensions are wrong compared to an A4?

Width: 21cm
Height 29.7cm
Resolution: 300 pixels/inch

When i print i don't select 'fit to page'. Though when i do select fit to page the image shrinks instead of becoming larger.

Update:
I ended up changing my unit & ruler DPI in preferences to match my screens dpi which has helped alot. The height is still a few mm off but much better then before :)

Last edited:

learning_brain

Reaction score
Bizarre - you shouldn't have to calibrate the unit preferences to screen - wtf? If you put in 21x29.7 and print without any scaling factor, it should print at that size... irrespective of resolution.

Does your printer have default gutters or margins? Try checking the device properties (advanced if it has it) just to check if it has any.