Setting name servers for hosting account

J.Wales

Reaction score
I have an x10hosting account i need to verify everything is correct with name servers, dns all that stuff. When I first set up the service it asked if I wanted to use a domain I already own, which i did, but it seems like it pulled the name servers from record, which were not correct. I need to verify that everything is set properly in cpanel.

I have a godaddy domain. The domain previously had host name info set and pointed to a vps ip. I don't know if it matters, but I did not delete that info or set up name servers before I started the hosting account and logged into cpanel. I deleted that info afterwards, and set the name servers to
NS1.X10HOSTING.COM
NS2.X10HOSTING.COM

In cpanel, I opened simple dns settings and cleared out the 'user set' name records of ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com I had previously set in godaddy.

Site was up briefly and went down and up, I guess its not fully propagated? Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything or messed something up.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
@jensen: This is related to a VPS (hence why it is in VPS Talk), so that link is irrelevant here :)

@J.Wales: What is your domain? Since you are using a VPS, you will either need to run your own nameservers (if you have cPanel/WHM you already are running one) or use the DNS as provided by your domain registrar. Without knowledge of what the domain is, however, we cannot assist you further.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Cannot assist further without saying you should be able to use godaddy's dns, point the A record to your vps IP, and the MX record if you have a mail server set up, else you can use something like gmail / windows live to manage your domain's mail.

J.Wales

Reaction score
I tried to explain it the best I could. I know it takes a bit for propogation which is exactly why I want to be clear on how to set this up. So i'm not waiting the max 48 hours to find something isnt right.

Basically I have two services now with x10. I have a vps service which I am using to teach myself some basic web stuff. I was attempting to get it set up which I was finally successful in getting it pointed to my vps. In order to do this I edited "host Summary" in my godaddy account set the ip for ns1 and ns2.mydomain.com which allows me to set an ip for my ns. Then I set the name servers for the domain in godaddy to ns1 ns2.mydomain.com in "set nameservers". Then I proceeded to set up my vps to respond to request which works.

Seeing as how I want to use my vps for experimentation and education I decided to move my domain to a steady hosting account as I kinda need it for my part time gig. I set up an x10 hosting plan for this, my second service. During the process of setting up the account and cpanel I was asked what domain i wanted to set it too. I set it up for my own domain name, mydomain.com. I'm guessing it grabbed the current settings and rolled with it. Since I had those IPs already set for ns1 ns2.mydomain.com, cpanel showed a 'user defined' nameservers for ns1.mydomain.com ipx.x.x.x and ns2 etc.. I recognized the IP and assumed it was wrong. So I deleted those user settings in cpanel. Went to godaddy and deleted the host summary ips for ns1 and ns2, deleted the nameservers and replaced them with ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com. After about 10mins my site was working for an hour now its showing the vps server again. Sometimes it flops back and forth. I want to make sure I haven't miss-configured something thats why i'm here. I'm really confused about the IP for one because I did not purchase a static IP so doesn't that change from time to time. When I set up the hosting account I wasn't given any info on what my ip would be what nameservers to set it to or anything like that, or maybe i'm blind.

Currently, mydomain in a browser gives me an error:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at www.computerfabricators.com Port 80

When I try to log in to ftp for mydomain, sometimes it lets me in, sometimes not. My ftp client gives me an authentication error and shows my vps user denying access. Is it possible my vps is getting in the way since it was set up for the same domain?

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I can't check FTP as I'm on my iPad, but I see this on the website, and it loads every time:

Welcome to ComputerFabricators.com, my name is Chris, computer technician and owner. I specialize in computer repair, and customized hand built computers. My goal is to provide quality computer services that are affordable. My rates are extremely competitive and I also provide On-site computer installation and repair services that others lack. If there is anything I can do for you, please give me a call [...]

I've removed the phone number as I'm sure you won't want that archived permanently on here if you happen to want to remove it from the homepage!

J.Wales

Reaction score
cool deal, it was flopping around a lot between the two for me, but hopefully it just needed time to stabilize or whatever...
Let me ask another question. I got a fresh domain, kicknchicken.net and pointed it to my vps using ns1.kicknchicken.net and ns2. I set the ip in my goddady host name info for ns1.kicknchicken.net and ns2 to my vps ip. This was done yesterday. The site comes up:
Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.kicknchicken.net.

Should I just wait longer or this being a fresh domain is it possible my vps is not responding to the request?

J.Wales

Reaction score
i resolved part of the issue. I am now able to see my server if I omit the www. Trying to figure out why it will only load without www. Any ideas anyone?

J.Wales

Reaction score
I guess its still propagating. I have it set with A record in 'named' service config. If i put it in the Cname, isn't that technically a redirect?

Angeloalbertini

Reaction score
I also think its still propagating. Waiting for a long time right????

Last edited by a moderator: