Several Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

sollerti

Reaction score
Hello,
I wanted to try to solve several issues. If you prefer that I write a different post for each issue please let me know and I can do that. I have tried to search for a solution on the knowledge base of x10hosting but I did not find what I was looking for. If the answers to my questions *are* listed in the knowledge base, then sorry, and could you please help me by pointing me in the right direction?

At any rate thanks for the help in advance, I really appreciate it.

1. CPanel does not seem to remember my settings (e.g. collapsed panels, clicking on "File Manager" always asks me for the settings, etc.)
2. I have tried using the Web Disk to access my account, but it does not seem to work. I know it is not an issue with my firewall or computer since I have used a Web Disk before and using the same ports, but somehow I am unnable to make it work -- any ideas?
3. Using the mail() function in php does not seem to send any email, though I am quite sure I have the correct code. Is the php mail() function still down? Should I find a different solution? I am putting up a "contact us" page on my website and just want people to be able to leave comments and get them through email.
4. On a separate topic with php, I wanted to locate the php file inside the cgi-bin directory, but somehow the webserver will not recognize the directory from my browser...i.e. I get a 500 error. Of course if I leave it in public_html then it works fine (i.e. I get all the echo's in my program back correctly). The reason I wanted to put it in cgi-bin was so that it would not be accessible through a simple "save link as", or if anyone tries to view the file (i.e. to protect my email address)

For now these are the questions I have and the doubts I would really appreciate having help with.

Thank you!

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
1. That could possibly be a problem with your browser (cookies and javascript settings)

2. Web disk is currently disabled because of the DC move for free hosting accounts.

3. The php mail() function has been re-enabled (corey posted here) as of a few days ago.

4. The permissions on cgi-bin will not allow you to view things inside of it. No matter what you do, people will be allowed to download your php file, its what happens when you publish things on the internet. Viewable rights to a file allow the person to "Get" the file in their browser, basically downloading a local copy of it. The local copy will not show php code unless the physical php file from the server is downloaded BEFORE the php is parsed and send to the browser (normally people don't do that).

Last edited:

sollerti

Reaction score
Hi Jake and Thanks for your replies!

1. I have checked cookies and javascript settings -- I will check again, but in other CPanels I don't have this issue (i.e. from other providers). I will check again.

2. OK thanks. Would be great to have Web Disk back. It was really very very useful

3. I did read that the mail() function was working again, somehow I am still running into problems. I tried it yesterday and today. If you have any further thoughts?

4. OK, understood -- thanks!

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
If you're using the secure cPanel it might have bugs in it when saving your information on how the panels are placed (the SSL and everything). The test free hosting cPanel account I have works fine for me.

Web disk, for free hosting accounts, will be disabled due to abuse. (updated)

As far as the mail() function, I haven't heard anything about it being changed or not working. I can look into it later today. What server are you on?

Last edited:

sollerti

Reaction score
I'm on chopin.

I will look into non SSL etc. to see if my CPanel remembers my settings.

Thanks for all your help so far!!

sollerti

Reaction score
Hello! I figured out the mail() issue. Some very specific issue with my own website. It now works. A question though. While I was testing this, I noticed that all the "test" emails I sent to myself never arrived (of course), nevertheless there was no error report. Is this always the case? i.e. if the mail () function stops working do I loose all the email "contacts" that I get sent from my website? Is there a way to store the messages on the server and then retreive them later, just in case? (e.g. whenever someone fills out the form and presses send two things happen: 1) It is tested for validity 2) It is saved as a document inside some folder under public_html (e.g. incoming) 3) It is sent to my email address Otherwise I am worried that I might loose some information if the mail () function is shut down again... Any thoughts? Thanks!

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
http://php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

The mail function returns TRUE if it's been sent to the mail delivery software on the server or FALSE if it has not (this would check to make sure that the php part of the mailing is getting done). Unfortunately the servers use exim, which, unless you have your own server and can institute queues I don't know of a way to know if your mails have made it to the destination from your end. If so, I would suspect you could save them as files on your server with a cron job to mail them later.

sollerti

Reaction score
Thanks Jake!

OK, so I will see how I can save the data on the server -- I don't really need a cron job since I hope that the mail () function will mostly work. I would check on a weekly basis or monthly basis to see whether I have missed any emails.

On another note, I have been trying to check email validity (so that I don't call the mail() function if someone is not using a valid email address) and I have ran into a problem:
the checkdnsrr() function does not seem to work or to be loaded??

Any thoughts on this? On how to check DNS validity otherwise?

Thanks!

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
Might be disabled due to security purposes. Normally I don't check for a valid dns when someone enters in the email address.

Normally I look for a single @ symbol with at least 1 "." afterward. If they use a fake email address, too bad.

string gethostbyname ( string $hostname ) also works for checking for an ip via hostname (if no ip, it'll give you back the servers ip)

sollerti

Reaction score
Thanks Jake!!

For now I am going to close this thread. There are some minor things still bugging me but I will address them later next week or next month.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.