Status
Not open for further replies.

sollerti

Reaction score
1) Smileys
I just logged on to cPanel and for some reason there is a
.smileys
directory inside my public_html directory

to tell you the truth i don't recall putting it there, and I also don't recall it being there before. Has it been added recently? Can I delete it?

2) PHP code
I have a php file inside public_html which works fine. For some reason when I put it inside cgi-bin, it does not work (everything set the same way, same permissions, and I also make sure that the relative paths that I have inside the file or when calling it are correct)
Is there something that I am missing? Can't php files be inside cgi-bin? Why not?
Can I create a php directory and put them in there? Is there something that I need to watch out for?
The php script file that I currently have is set to 644 and works fine

3) Uptime
Are we having problems with uptime at X10hosting? Reason I ask is that I get several times a day just no connection to my website. Is it possible that the issue is only on my side, or might it lie with the DNS servers, or directly with the hosting service?

Thanks a lot for any replies to the above three.

Cheers!

jex125

Reaction score
1. You can remove the .smileys folder. It won't harm you site!:smile:
2. You can put php files on cgi-bin. I think that your php file name is not set to index or default page. Just a thought. HEHE.
3. That's a question that only the administrators of x10 can answer!

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I just logged on to cPanel and for some reason there is a .smileys directory inside my public_html directory
Sounds like something that might have been installed with a forum. I don't see how any harm could come from leaving it alone, or, if you are sure nothing on your website is using it, delete it.
3) Uptime Are we having problems with uptime at X10hosting?
I have not had any issues with my own website and there does not seem to be any recent complaints about the uptime. But, the free servers are under heavy load and they will occasionally be sluggish. This could also possibly be caused by some temporary issue with your own ISP.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
2) PHP code
I have a php file inside public_html which works fine. For some reason when I put it inside cgi-bin, it does not work [...]Can I create a php directory and put them in there?
Read the mod_cgi documentation. Anything in the "cgi-bin" directory (more accurately, anything targeted by a ScriptAlias directive) is processed by the cgi-script handler, which passes files off to sh. It, in turn, expects scripts to start with a shebang line; if they don't, sh processes them as shell scripts. If you want to run a PHP script from cgi-bin, you'll need to use the php-cgi executable rather than php so that the shebang line doesn't get output along with everything else.

However, there's really no need to use the cgi-bin folder for PHP. Simply put the PHP scripts in whichever folders you wish, only first think about how you structure your URLs. Remember, URLs are hierarchical names. They should contain only nouns, no verbs, arranged from general to specific. You can always rewrite external URLs to your internal site layout, if necessary.

sollerti

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I think I have enough information for now on these three topics.

The thread can be closed!

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
***Thread Closed***

Status
Not open for further replies.