Shade's Suggestions for x10hosting

Shade

Reaction score
1. Better uptime - constantly it seems the servers are down. I dont know whats causing this but eg. 5 mySQL databases - is it really necessary? Usually you can do prefixes for databases so it wouldnt overwrite anything.

2. *Unlimited* bandwidth per month option. However, this would only be for showing website content. Not allowing download content, streaming videos etc.

And finally a question: Does paying for the hosting give you VIP status with the better uptime server?

Last edited:
B

Brandon

1. What do expect from a free webhost? No because if the database gets deleted everything is gone.

2. This could still be bad for the server.

3. I do know VIP status does give you a better uptime.

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
1. On 70.86.136.178 (The free hosting server.) the server is down because of the occasional "bad egg" in the bunch of hosting accounts. People get an account and start using a huge amount of resources which when you have a server with over 1200 hosting accounts on it, you cannot do that. The downtime doesn't have much to do with MySQL. For example, justa few minutes ago the swap space on the server sky rocketed to over 1 gig, which is a crazy amount. It's things like that, that are the cause of server downtimes.

2. Even though in whole 70.86 still has hugggeee amount of bandwidth "left over' every month, if you give plans with no bandwidth cap, woo. Actually, I wanted to see actually how many accounts go over their limit, so I just checked in WHM. It's the end of the month and only 1 account is close to reaching its cap, and that account is Oni's. (Haha, no pun inteaded.. Your at 95% if you read this.) So yea.. There really is no need unless your hosting huge files/torrents, which is against the TOS anyways.

3. There are no payed plans open at the moment. I was just talking to Corey about this a little while ago and there is the possiblity for them to reopen in the future.

Last edited:

Akkarin

Reaction score
If you are a VIP user (pay) you get transfered to the business server. No downtime!

Shade

Reaction score
One more suggestion: (Not sure if this is possible already) For the corporate package having a advert vertically so that it can be implemented into the persons web design. It is also much easier to notice then a horizontal and both x10hosting and client should get something out of it.

But a horizontal advert at the top not so keen

Last edited:

Jordan K

[B]tags dont work:([/B]
Reaction score
Shade said:
One more suggestion: (Not sure if this is possible already) For the corporate package having a advert vertically so that it can be implemented into the persons web design. It is also much easier to notice then a horizontal and both x10hosting and client should get something out of it.

But a horizontal advert at the top not so keen

A horizontal banner is extremely more effective and it is favoured by many clients of x10's free hosting services. This is because you can easily implement it into headers and footers of your site without much work at all. If you have a vertical banner your site is going to extend down a page and a half literally... and that just ruins the whole layout and style that your site is going for. I can't think of any case where a vertical would look better than a horizontal banner. period.

B

Brandon

True for forums this would be a pain and most people would not like it and get their accounts banned when they do not have the ads on.

Cynical

Reaction score
I can see where you are coming from with the the vertical banner, but it isn't necessarily better. It's just different. With a vertical banner, one could put it in somewhat of a navigation box to the left or right of the page's main content, but this doesn't seem any more or less effective than the basic horizontal banner. I'm sure other people would use a vertical banner if there was an option for one, and having this option couldn't hurt, could it?

Shade

Reaction score
Well personally i think it would make the website look more professional really depending on where the advertisement is. In the case of x10hostings forums i think the right alignment doesnt make it too bad. But for a website such as eg. Gamespots configuration where it is all center aligned - how stupid would an advert look on that especially seeing as it has to be the top.. the first thing the user see's a big banner in your face.. great for x10hosting but you can get same effect with it being vertically aligned at the side.

But i can see where you guys are coming from it really depends on the type of site you got eg. Forums based mostly sites will not gain much from this

Edit: By top i am assuming it means at the top.. not top half

Last edited:

hyeclass

Reaction score
I think this host if even better then some payed hosts .... i'm right aint i?
and i think there is a bad egg again

Woolie

Reaction score
Woolie's Suggestion for Shade:

1) If you dont like the uptime, go and find another free host!!!!

2) Unlimited bandwidth?!? Thats just asking for torrents. Anyway, bandwidth and data transfer are different, i'm guessing you're talking about data transfer.