Short MP3 Samples

Status
Not open for further replies.

whollick

Reaction score
I would like to make short MP3 music samples available on my web pages.

I have the copyright to all the music samples I would post.

I do not see anything in the TOS that I read as prohibiting this practice but I am asking first.

May I post short MP3 music samples on my FREE hosted web pages without running afoul of the TOS?

Thank you for your help with this.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
You must be either the legal owner / copyright holder of the music in question or have permission from the legal owner / copyright holder of the music in question to redistribute the music and be able to prove your legal right to redistribute the music either way.

Another part of the terms of service you will want to carefully consider is:
"File Hosting: Every file on your site must have to do with the website you put up, we are not a file storage service"

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're the copyright holder (as in it's actually -your- music), you're pretty much free to do what you want with your music. The reason it's tagged in there for "copyrighted mp3's" is we tend to have users post not just their music (if any of it is actually theirs as in they and their friends played the instrument and recorded the song themselves), but their entire music collection.

The only safety net you -may- want to have is proof that it's your music, if you can. That way should it end up getting suspended for the mp3's, you'll have the proof that it's yours and thus can get it unsuspended :)

I did peek at the site itself so far though; I don't actually think we'll run into issues with it being mis-suspended by one of our reviewers; it's pretty clear it wouldn't be a site transferring mp3's from many different bands at once illegally.

whollick

Reaction score
Thank you for the clarifications.

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

Not from many different bands, just one artist who writes his own material and who is licensed by ASCAP and BMI to perform the music of others.
Also, the postings would be short samples, not full length songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.