Should we go back to a more laisse-faire system?

panop

Reaction score
Well, should we? I mean, what's happened since the depression-era is that the middle and lower classes (especially the lower classes) have become extremely dependent on the government and government programs. The best example is welfare, where many (though not all) people abuse the program that we, as taxpayers, put into it. Another example is social security. Social Security was never designed to be a safety net for seniors, and yet many seniors have become extremely dependent on it, to the point that it's about to go bankrupt.

Before the depression, the philosophy was that if you weren't succeeding and were falling on hard times, your friends would help support you until you could get back on your feet. Today, the philosophy is that if you aren't succeeding, it's the government's fault and the government should compensate you for your troubles.

Moreover, today we're experiencing the downsides of government involvement. Inflation is hitting all-time highs, the market is (although the Fed refuses to admit it) going into a recession, and the dollar is hitting all-time lows against the Euro.

Now, this argument is not to say that we should abandon the dollar. In fact, going to the Federal Reserve System, which created the fiat dollar, is probably one of the best economic decisions the government has ever made. What I am trying to say is that we should take a more laisse-faire stance on economic issues.

Debate and decide, and post your responses here! Thanks!

cointoss

Reaction score
I have to agree with you on some points. However, I myself have had to fall on the assistance of the government at points in my life. The problem happens here: The gap between the have and the have nots has gotten a lot bigger. Usually when you find yourself in the have not position, your "friends" and those in your social network are in similar circumstances. Note the recent decline of textiles in America. If you lost your job due to a plant closing, so did everyone you work with. And I think we all know when it comes right down to it, none of us can depend on the compassion of others, whereas the government programs can be of assistance. As for the elderly taking advantage of social security... Social security has increased gradually over time to keep up with the cost of living. It's not that people want to depend solely on it for survival, its the surviving up until now has cost them all they have. Remember when you talk about reducing or removing these benefits, you are talking about people starving to death and doing without the most basic of needs... I can't support changing them. I know it's more of an impact on the people to think of a starving child, but I'm 29 years old, and I can much assure you that even this year I have experienced time of no food. None. And though it is not as sad to think about, I was no less hungry...