Should We Migrate to Mac From Windows

debfree10

Reaction score
I am anxious and a bit curious to know whether it is the ideal time to migrate to Mac from Windows since the latter one comes with a number of nagging issues such as vulnerability, virus attacks and other intriguing issues. I would like to get some valuable feedbacks from the members.

myildi37

Prime Account
Reaction score
Hi,
I have done it one year ago. Spent sometime to rebuilt my software ecology for different tasks and do not regret it at all.

steronius

Reaction score
Pro's might include:
-much less vulnerable to malware
-much less crashing (longer uptime and less update maintenance)
-can run fusion, parallels, or virtualbox to run windows (or linux) in virtual machines for those windows programs that are absolute necessity
-boot camp (dual boot windows)
-support for LDAP network logins
-reduced maintenance costs

Con's might include
-cost of initial investment
-third party applications that require native windows and high end graphics (example: security video client software) running these in a VM will unlikely produce desired results if at all.
-user learning curve (which isn't all that much)

i really like the way "myildi37" verbalized; it's a change of "software ecology" but very doable. and it's especially nice to still run a VM when you need to use another OS.

niagaradad

Reaction score
Have you thought about Linux at all? Then you can keep the same hardware you have now. Some of the package managers offer very easy installs and they replicate very similar desktop look and feel.

xevell

Reaction score
I migrated to Mac, about a year ago, I was sort of forced at work. Once you get the hang of it you will love it. " Once you go Mac, you will never go back". You have more reliability, less crashing, its faster. I really do not regret making the change, and like Steronious was saying, just get a VM for a Windows specific software. I personally like them for graphics, and web design, I know a lot of people that use Macs for video and audio. If you are one of them, its worth the try.

In general I personally like Macs, however if you are really an IT Guy, I will recommend to try up all OS possible and get at least the basic, pro and cons on each one and get the best use of all.

I personally l

krofunk

Reaction score
I am actually going through this at work at the moment (Council Technician) I would say if you are changing EVERY thing then go for it. I say this because I have found integrating Macintosh with existing (modern) windows networks "interesting"

This could have been avoided if we used a Mac server ¬¬

BUUUT once you have gone Mac you never go back.

smorloc9585

Reaction score
Ever thought about dual-booting? Also if you have the anti-virus software then you don't have to really worry about viruses. I would not go to Mac but if you have to, make a virtual machine using vmware...

cdgvbmu

Reaction score
I actually debated this some time ago. I ended up dual-booting Ubuntu10.10 and Win7Pro with Ubuntu as my primary. I've never went the way of Mac because initial investment. With linux you can keep your existing hardware. There is a bit of a learning curve, but there are several package managers and Ubuntu has a wonderful tech support forum if you ever get lost.

You can make it look and act like Windows, Mac, or something entirely different. And if you run into specialized software, Oracle VirtualBox is a standard package in the Ubuntu repositories. VMWare also makes a debian package for use on Ubuntu if you want to go that route.

If I had the money for the hardware switch, I would choose Mac. Remember, both Ubuntu (Linux) and Mac have the same (but slightly different) UNIX base... Windows is the odd-man-out in the OS world.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I am anxious and a bit curious to know whether it is the ideal time to migrate to Mac from Windows since the latter one comes with a number of nagging issues such as vulnerability, virus attacks and other intriguing issues. I would like to get some valuable feedbacks from the members.

There is no "Should" but if you wish to migrate..choose GOOGLE Chrome OS as an option too.Future is on Free software
What say.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
There is no "Should" but if you wish to migrate..choose GOOGLE Chrome OS as an option too.Future is on Free software
What say.
Are you being serious? If you've ever actually tried to do any productive work on Chrome OS you'll suddenly realise that it's completely useless. It's fine if you want to browse the web, but beyond that you'll be fighting a losing battle. Plus the fact that all your work is stored in the cloud is something I dislike.

Back on topic, if the thread opener is still about then I'll put in my case, although I can't give you my experience of switching to mac as I have always used it. So, what I will say is that it is remarkably flexible and very intuitive to use, I have never once had a virus or a system failure; of course, that doesn't mean to say you won't, but you don't have to be quite as vigilant as you do when running a Windows system. Admittedly there is the issue of price and some may find that a major barrier, but if you can afford it then it is definitely a good choice.
For web design, there is a huge range of options available for every step of the process and it really can simplify some aspects and allow you freedom to work on the more enjoyable parts rather than waste time with the basics.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Are you being serious? If you've ever actually tried to do any productive work on Chrome OS you'll suddenly realise that it's completely useless. It's fine if you want to browse the web, but beyond that you'll be fighting a losing battle. Plus the fact that all your work is stored in the cloud is something I dislike.
Yeah.You are correct.But Google may do away with this.If someone is used to Chrome,he can anticipate better OS in the future.
Even Windows was a bit unpredictable until Windows 7.
Nice to have your opinion.