Should x10hosting change their name to x10hostaging? Is their service down often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blabaweb

Reaction score
I've recently set up an account to host my blog Blabaweb and a very unhealthy proportion of the time,my blog is inaccessible due to x10hosting being down. So basically x10hosting doesn't host my blog, it holds it hostage. I suggest they change their name to x10hostaging. Does anyone agree with me here? Shall I start a campaign? Its only a two letter change - come on x10hosting, be honest to your potential customers/prisoners.

Whats the point in having a website if it can't be viewed or even maintained by the author?

Is x10hosting always like this or is it really just because they are "experiencing higher than normal requests for free hosting, we are provisioning new hardware as fast as we can to keep up with the demand. You may experience some delays or slowness while we get caught up."?

My site has been down many times before that message appeared.

Are all free hosting services temperamental? Anyone had any experience with others?

And it is worth moving now while my blog is young and fairly uncluttered?

Thanks in advance for any replies, they are greatly appreciated.

Blabaweb

markhere

Reaction score
Re: Should x10hosting change their name to x10hostaging? Is their service down often

I've been using x10 for some time now and sometimes its fine and other times its a disaster. Unfortunately this is disaster time. You will probably have issues with any free hosting company I have a few accounts with other free hosting services and very rarely are they down or experience long term issues. The only drawback with most other providers is that they can be very restrictive in what is offered eg. mail and number of databases. Some even don't allow the use of zencart and the likes for selling products. The only thing I would suggest is search around it costs nothing to try another free hosting provider then compare.

xdevhald

Reaction score
Re: Should x10hosting change their name to x10hostaging? Is their service down often

How about getting a job and leaving x10hosting so we don't have to deal with more people like you who complain about free hosting and upgrade this and that. You don't even make money off of your site or run a business using it. Go find something else to do for the time being and maybe, just maybe they'll turn YOUR site back on out of a good heart they have.

It's people like you that flood forums with posts like these that are just so stupid and pointless. Get a real hobby...

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score

This thread should probably be in "off topic" and not "free hosting" because you are not really asking for support.

Is x10hosting always like this or is it really just because they are "experiencing higher than normal requests for free hosting, we are provisioning new hardware as fast as we can to keep up with the demand. You may experience some delays or slowness while we get caught up."?

You are addressing your very own comments and complaints in that paragraph. X10 has recently experienced substantial growth which put a very high load on hardware, resources, and staff. X10 is, (and has been), responding to this by upgrading hardware, software, and resources. This process has caused some inconvenience to X10 clients. There have been some unexpected glitches along the way. It appears that staff are very near completing all the work at this time and when it is finished all current and future X10 clients are going to benefit greatly.
I am not staff nor affiliated with X10 in any way other than being a client. However, I read announcements and browse the forums so I have a good idea what is happening here.

Are all free hosting services temperamental? Anyone had any experience with others?

No. Most are much more "temperamental" because they are owned, operated and staffed by people who are strictly motivated by profit and really do not care about delivering a quality service to their clients - such as investing large amounts of money into hardware, software, and resource upgrades when needed.

And it is worth moving now while my blog is young and fairly uncluttered?
Only you can make that decision. However, if you are as displeased with your current service as you seem to be and you do not have the patience to wait for these upgrades to complete, (should be very soon), then go ahead and take your chances with another service, but you will probably regret it later on.

As I stated earlier, I am only an X10 Client. I have nothing to gain from "selling" X10 service. These are just my opinions.

jameseh

Reaction score

I think that the OP has raised some valid points.

I've used X10 for around about 6 months and my first 5 were absolutely fine. However, since the server upgrades I've had endless amounts of difficulty.

Granted, I am using a free service, for which perhaps I should expect there to be periods of downtime given the amount (nothing) that I'm paying for it. However, I would also expect a service to do what it's meant to and sadly X10 isn't doing that for me currently. If I have a domain hosted, I expect other people to be able to view the site. This isn't the case currently.

By all means, flame me for expecting my free hosting service to offer free hosting that others can view, but I will be moving my service to a paid (non X10 - the upgrade journey is horrible) service. Ultimately, I used this service on others recommendation and it doesn't fulfil the needs that I have.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score

Unfortunately, you have joined at a point where there are many updates going on for all the free servers. I can guarantee to you that this is not normal, prior to these updates the servers were up almost all of the time. I have had an uptime tracker running on my home page for almost a year now and in that period the uptime has been 96.15%, which I believe is very reasonable considering we are not paying a penny for this service.
As to moving hosts, you will have a difficult time finding a better free host that will offer you similar opportunities and options as X10 does.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score

By all means, flame me for expecting my free hosting service to offer free hosting that others can view, but I will be moving my service to a paid (non X10 - the upgrade journey is horrible) service. Ultimately, I used this service on others recommendation and it doesn't fulfil the needs that I have.

It has been frequently pointed out that the Paid X10 Services are superior to the Free Hosting in many ways. There are fewer users on each server and the client has access to a "real" support system as opposed to posting in forum and waiting on an answer, which may or may not be a good answer depending on who responds. One can usually expect much better service on a paid plan and that holds true at X10.

jameseh

Reaction score

Granted.

However not having an upgrade path without needing to backup all my files isn't an upgrade. It's the same as moving my hosting to a new supplier without having to make the necessary name server changes.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score

Granted.

However not having an upgrade path without needing to backup all my files isn't an upgrade. It's the same as moving my hosting to a new supplier without having to make the necessary name server changes.
Actually, when you move to paid hosting I believe it is possible to have your account transferred directly.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score

Granted.

I have seen several posts in the forums where X10 staff tells a current free hosting user that staff will migrate the entire free hosting website to paid hosting if free user wants to upgrade. So I am just curious about your "needing to backup" reference. Perhaps you know something that I am unaware of. Enlighten me if you will.

blabaweb

Reaction score

Thanks for your replies folks. You've helped me alot. Sorry if I came across a bit harsh, I thought I would try and lighten the mood amongst all the error posts - I didn't mean to offend anyone (except you xdevhald, my evil plan worked, wah ha ha ha). I understand the staff are working hard and I'm grateful for their efforts - I know only too well how tuff and unrewarding it is to be over-run.

I'm new to all this webmaster dominatrix melarky so I thought I'd start with a freebee to scope things out and x10 seemed the pick of the bunch. As I've tried no others, I can't compare it but I've liked everything about it (great job gals and guys) apart from the downtime which unfortunately, for me, is too big an issue for me to just dwell upon, thumbs twiddling. I'll bare with them to bask in the immense uptime when they've finished upgrading but I think, like jameseh (best of luck dude), I'll start paying for web space fairly soon - reliability is a prerequisite for me now. Having your own domain is important too, I just didn't know how seriously I was going to take this little venture.

I think I've learnt what I needed from this here escapade anyhow. Thanks for all your help (even you xdevhald. What is your idea of a "real hobby" out of curiousity? I think we should hold hands)

Status
Not open for further replies.