Silly questions about VPS (not a costumer)

Lucianoc

Reaction score
Hi
Im thinking of signing up for a VPS, but I'm trying to understand exactly what it is.

Im help to manage a dedicated (Debian 5) running asterisk + site.
Now we plan to get another server, but just for the http & mail (+ ftp, dns..)

VPS means I will have complete access to the OS?
I ask this because in the registration form we need to choose lxadmin or cpanel, that made me wonder if i wouldn't be able to install anything at all by my self later, whatever admin software, bind, mail server, nginx instead of apache ...

In another stupid question: openvz works, from the guest OS p.o.v. just like a full virtualization?
theres a vps with 128MB RAM, that includes the OS, obviously ( ? )

For the website we run, we usually send out a few hundred mail messages a day (and receive another few hundred), is there any limitation, filtering, blockage for all that stuff going around in your tubes?

Any blocked ports?

Do you take non-US credit cards?

Regarding VPS features

External Backup: ftp shares the same network as the vps, for lightspeed transfers?
2 IPs any chance?

Thanks

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

VPS means you have complete access to the OS, there are some small limitations like full access to iptables. Installing modules, software, etc... is all controlled by you.

For the control panel, you don't have to use one, you can pick an OS without LXA and do not check cPanel. You're welcome to install any other control panel or not use one at all.

OpenVZ is a separate container where you can pick your OS and install which ever software you'd like.

As long as the mail you send out is not illegal, and follows the CAN SPAM ACT it is not a problem. We do not block any ports or filter any traffic on our VPSs.

We take non us credit cards, paypal, moneybookers, and alertpay. We also take WU if paid yearly.

Our external backup counts towards your overall BW but is transferred inside our DC.

Extra IPs are $1\mo and can be added after your order is provisioned.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I recommend a VPS. I used them from x10hosting and there's nothing bad about them at all.

nxtitle

Reaction score
Getting a VPS is a really good idea. It's like having your own computer out on the internet, where you have full root access.

(You need to know how to use linux at the command line though, otherwise it might not be that good of an idea to buy it)