Site down for several days now... not acceptable

Status
Not open for further replies.

slight

Reaction score
My site has been down for several days. While I appreciate there is a server upgrade going on, this is really an unacceptable outage.

1. x10hosting needs to provide customers with a timeline for resolving this
2. Keeping customer sites offline for days is completely unacceptable. Please fix immediately.

The Real Rebel

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry for the downtime, X10 are going through alot of changes at the moment,
[11:10] <~Corey> We've been testing different setups over the past 2 months or so
[11:10] <~Corey> we decided on one and are moving everything to it
[11:18] <~Corey> As accounts are moved to the new servers they'll go back online

Server accounts are being moved at the moment, Please be patient if your site has gone down.
Also chopin has become unresponsive, It will be back as soon as possible,
It shouldn't take much longer to sort out all the problems,
Regards,
Jamie

P.S Keep checking out http://status.x10hosting.com/ for more information.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
An "Unacceptable" free service. Slightly oxymoronic.

Corey spends a lot of time working on this FREE service, the server migrations at the moment will improve this FREE service a lot.

1. x10hosting needs to provide customers with a timeline for resolving this

http://status.x10hosting.com/

Of course, if you don't like it theres nothing stopping you leaving.

~Callum

mavr1c

Reaction score
I find the constant references to "if you don't like it leave" very unprofessional.
Chopin has been down frequently and as long as a week one time. Look at the Service alerts and
NOTHING mentioned. Searching through various forums eventually yields comment about
"we know Chopin is down and are working hard on it". There should be an immediate update to Service Alerts where we are constantly being directed to indicate status of any known outage. If you don't follow your own standard procedures, stop badgering well meaning and very appreciative users for being confused and frustrated.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I find the constant references to "if you don't like it leave" very unprofessional.
Chopin has been down frequently and as long as a week one time. Look at the Service alerts and
NOTHING mentioned. Searching through various forums eventually yields comment about
"we know Chopin is down and are working hard on it". There should be an immediate update to Service Alerts where we are constantly being directed to indicate status of any known outage. If you don't follow your own standard procedures, stop badgering well meaning and very appreciative users for being confused and frustrated.

Community helpers are the ones that most of the time give you support. Community helpers are not, in the same sense, staff. We are free hosting users that have proven ourselves on the forums and are given access to tools to help provide a first level of support.
Next, for the status page. Since only some staff can post to it, they need to be available to update the status website, and as much you'd like to see someone updating it in the middle of the night, people need to sleep, it's a basic need.
If you'd like, propose a suggestion to allow more staff and maybe even community helpers (at least a bigger group than the current) to post to the status page. This way you'll get they updates sooner.
Finally, for the customer thing, as Corey said, you are not a customer until you pay. Since free hosting is...free, then...
One more thing, the "if you don't like it leave" comments we do is to show in a very clear manner that if you don't like the service we offer, we do not hold you back, like other people might do. And frankly, one account less on the free servers can be the difference between instant response and request timed out.

fekete

Reaction score

I agree with most of your points! We do appreiate the great free service and STANDARD procedures should be followed at all times to avoid frustration and confusion. I stumbled on this purely by chance poking around and there is no mention in Service Alerts to any outage. I guess if you have a problem the answer is not rely on the published procedures but poke around and you may find a solution.

Thanks for a great service with all its flaws and its ups and downs!

slight

Reaction score
I am shocked, dumbfounded that people have suggested that because a service is free there is no requirement for quality, availability. I'll point out again that even a free hosting service requires the sites to be hosted. If the pages are down... uh... they aren't being hosted.

When you commit to providing a service you have obligations (i.e. x10 has obligations, even to its FREE services). People using their services are their customers. Its being FREE does not change that.

Obviously I undestand that I can change service providers. I would rather x10just get things fixed.

Last edited:

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
@slight: That is the whole point of x10hosting staff making all of these upgrades and server moves. In the server status page, The CEO himself said that they are currently implementing a whole bunch of changes to provide better quality service for the free account users. I believe that is fulfilling beyond what you say is their obligation to the free service.

azadder

Reaction score
Maybe it is acceptable to you, but I recently paid to upgrade my free service, and I am still unable to access my site.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Maybe it is acceptable to you, but I recently paid to upgrade my free service, and I am still unable to access my site.

I also paid for an upgrade last year, and I still have no complaints.

I've already answered your other thread, btw, with the answer to your problem.

fekete

Reaction score
I am shocked, dumbfounded that people have suggested that because a service is free there is no requirement for quality, availability. I'll point out again that even a free hosting service requires the sites to be hosted. If the pages are down... uh... they aren't being hosted.

When you commit to providing a service you have obligations (i.e. x10 has obligations, even to its FREE services). People using their services are their customers. Its being FREE does not change that.

Obviously I undestand that I can change service providers. I would rather x10just get things fixed.

Absolutely correct! A service provider accepts reponsibility for providing a service.
Suggesting that if you don't pay you are not a customer is as irresponsible as having systems down for days. Perhaps the huge success of the company has resulted in an inability perform reasonable systems management practices.

Support staff "community volunteers" or otherwise bashing concerned users is counterproductive. Better to say nothing than to fuel the flames with irresponsible rhetoric.
I think Corey is busting a gut to make a great service better, don't spoil his dedicated effort with irresponsible comments!

slight

Reaction score
@calistroy: I'm happy they are doing an upgrade. But they shouldn't be leaving sites down for days (weeks?) as a side effect. I'm not sure how many sites are down right now. Mine is still down.. it has been several days. This is just nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.