Site gets suspending zipping files using cPanle File Manger

Status
Not open for further replies.

pball

Reaction score
Like my topic says when ever I try to zip a decent portion of my site to make downloading a full backup easier it gets suspended. I only tried to zip 211mb, which is nothing compared to what I did in the past before the last large update. When I was on another server before the last major update I could zip my whole site which was 700mb at the time with out a problem.

Can anything be done be done to help this problem? I'd rather not have to switch back to downloading file by file to make a backup. I don't zip files to save space since most of the files are pictures, it's because ftping a few thousand files is a pain. Could the zipping process be made to run at a lower priority like you can do with most programs on a computer?

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
Most FTP clients i have used let me download an entire directory by simply dragging the folder to a local folder.
While this isn't necessarily a fix, its an alternative. Is there any reason this won't work for you?

pball

Reaction score
I know I can download whole dirs at a time with ftp, I'm currently doing that since I want a backup now. The problem is downloading file by file takes a long time and creates more room for errors and missed files. It takes longer to download 4000 individual files than 1 or even a few files of the same overall size.

So basically it saves time and hassle zipping everything.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Maybe try zipping 1/3 of the directories/files at a time.

pball

Reaction score
well 200mb is 1/6 of my website, so I'd have to spend a bit of time figuring how to split stuff up more. so ftping the whole thing is easier than that, so I'm falling back on that until something happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.