Site is not available...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechTalk

Reaction score
I posted a thread a week back about having issues with phpBB not sending activation emails.
I then had problems sending and receiving email with the email I created in cPanel.

My post was sent to a support ticket to which the response was unhelpful and didn't even address the email issue.

Now my site can't even be viewed out of no where. I haven't adjusted the settings and I've been regularly logging into the forums.

What can't I view my site?

Site address: http://naturallynerds.com

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
The server issues were a known problem and have since been resolved. As far as the mail issue, the only thing I am able to do is escalate tickets, so I'm not really going to be able to assist you further than I have already. I don't have access to the ticket system, so I can't see how you were advised. If you can provide that information, I would be happy to try and help you implement those suggestions, if you haven't already.

If you and I can't get this resolved, I will put in a request to have some more people look at this issue. This can be a long process, I'm afraid, but I assure you that I take these problems seriously and will do what I can to resolve them.

TechTalk

Reaction score
Here's where the support ticket is currently at:

Code:
Hello,

While this might be more of a support question for phpBB (when it comes to the possibility to use tls:// in the SMTP server name for the smtp setting) or google (in the case of what Authentication method to use) I'll do my best to help.

Most of the time you do not specify a protocol when entering a server address, so try with just putting: smtp.gmail.com

I do use phpBB, but I do not use the SMTP option for emailing through the board.

Regards,
Anna
Code:
TechTalk
March 30 at 3:58 pm

I'd rather just use the php mail function.

I only attempted the SMTP setup once I couldn't get the php mail function working. So what is wrong with my php mail settings so that my activation emails are getting delivered?

Also, why am I unable to receive emails with the domain email I created in cPanel?

Lastly, why was I able to send emails with that same email but the following day I got a failure notice that the message was unable to be delivered even though it was?

The email account I'm referring to is support@naturallynerds.com

TechTalk
April 1 at 6:26 pm

I am now receiving an error when trying to visit my site.

Help would be appreciated asap.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Bump

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

I tried registering with a different email and to my surprise the activation email was sent.

Working Email Providers:
-Gmail
-Yahoo

Not Working:
-Road Runner

What would cause the emails to be sent to gmail and yahoo accounts but not a road runner account?

I'm still having problems with my email created from cPanel as well if anyone could help with that.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
There are unfortunately a number of issues that are causing problems with outgoing mail. Firstly, only text/plain content-type is supported at this time while some bugs are corrected in the system. This means that if PHPBB tries to send an HTML message, it will silently fail if you use mail(). If you use STMP and send from one of your personal email accounts, it will be successful.

Secondly, a good number of X10Hosting users think it is a good idea to send massive amounts of spam mail from their X10Hosting account. They are caught and banned every time, but not until the damage is done. This means that many big email providers are sending email into the junk folder. It's even possible (but not proven) that they could be deleting these messages before they're even received.

What other email problems have you had with your X10Hosting account?

TechTalk

Reaction score
How do I make sure phpBB only sends email with plain text?

I'd rather not use one of my personal email accounts for the activation emails. I wouldn't mind setting up SMTP to use the email I created, support@naturallynerds.com. But that's not possible with the email problems right now.

Current Problems:
1) Activation emails won't send to road runner email accounts (@columbus.rr.com for instance). I've only tested gmail, yahoo, and road runner.
2) My naturallynerds email can't receive email.
3) When I sent out test email with that email account they successfully went through. However, the next day I received failure notices that said the messages were unable to be delivered...not sure what to make of this.

That's where I'm currently at.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Morning bump.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

UPDATE:

The failure notices I've been getting in the support@naturallynerds.com email is from the activation messages failing to be sent out to road runner email addresses. It appears the ip is blacklisted for those email accounts.

If I set up my mail to be sent with the support@naturallynerds.com email via SMTP I would get the same problem because the mail will be sent out of the same server, correct?

I may just have to create a gmail or yahoo account and set up SMTP if that is the case.

I'd appreciate any feedback with my problems.

After the above question is answered problems 1) and 3) will be taken care of. Then I'll only need help with 2).

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
What you may want to do is have your mail hosted at Google using Google Apps' free service. This means, your emails will originate from Google and incoming mail will be taken care of by Google as well.

https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new

Post back if you have any questions on how to complete this setup.

TechTalk

Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the link and for helping me all throughout the thread. I really appreciate it.

That's the end of my problems...(for now :) lol)

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Great! Don't hesitate to ask any further questions! Setting up MX records is a little confusing. X10Hosting isn't listed on the instruction page, but cpanel is.

Status
Not open for further replies.