Site not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisyearsrent

Reaction score
Hey guys,

For some reason my site, www.thisyearsrent.com, isn't working. It keeps saying Server not found. Firefox can't find the server at www.thisyearsrent.com.

I checked with my domain registrar and it is active and the nameservers, I believe, are correct. It was working a couple weeks ago and then suddenly not working. I haven't changed anything.

Would you be able to see and check the problem?

Thank you,
Ryan
www.thisyearsrent.com

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
I do not see a free hosting account associated with this Forum user name (which is brand new).

What is your cPanel username OR your main domain name OR your original Forum user name?

hiveserv

Reaction score
Oops. sorry about that.

Username is thisyear
Domain is thisyearsrent.x10.mx

You did install your site to the correct folder and did not make an actual redirect or a sub domain to point to said folder that you actually installed the site files too. Your site works just fine http://thisyearsrent.x10.mx/thisyearsrent.com/ it is in a folder of the public/html root and nothing is going to be displayed using that domain you posted in the OP because its linked to absolutely nothing the actual domain is thisyearsrent.x10.mx which as I said has not been redirected to that folder which does have the html index and rest of the site in it.

Also you left site indexing turned on which is why myself and anybody else can access the root of your sites directory listing and download the entire thing if we wanted too by typing in your domain name http://thisyearsrent.x10.mx. If you brought the domain name www.thisyearsrent.com then you need read up on the section around here in the forum that explains how to park the domain which will add the domain as a second means of accessing your site then you need to create a redirect to direct your free hosting domain thisyearsrent.x10.mx to your brought domain. Which still wont completely fix your problem until you make either a SUB domain which points that folder or you fix the fact that you installed a single website into a folder of your public_html/www which is where the files should be placed sub folders are for site content or sub domains don't place the main website in a folder or you will need to load that folder in the link.

Right now if you eventually manage to park the domain assuming you actually do own the domain name because you will need to change add DNS settings on your domain providers end which points back to x10hosting you will still actually need to use the url www.thisyearsrent.com/thisyearsrent.com to load the website which is really silly. I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with the way you have uploaded the website but right now its in shambles until you figure out exactly how you want the page to load but loading from a folder in the root of the upload directory is only ever going force you to use the domain/foldername to access the site.

Last edited:

thisyearsrent

Reaction score
You did install your site to the correct folder and did not make an actual redirect or a sub domain to point to said folder that you actually installed the site files too. Your site works just fine http://thisyearsrent.x10.mx/thisyearsrent.com/ it is in a folder of the public/html root and nothing is going to be displayed using that domain you posted in the OP because its linked to absolutely nothing the actual domain is thisyearsrent.x10.mx which as I said has not been redirected to that folder which does have the html index and rest of the site in it.

Also you left site indexing turned on which is why myself and anybody else can access the root of your sites directory listing and download the entire thing if we wanted too by typing in your domain name http://thisyearsrent.x10.mx. If you brought the domain name www.thisyearsrent.com then you need read up on the section around here in the forum that explains how to park the domain which will add the domain as a second means of accessing your site then you need to create a redirect to direct your free hosting domain thisyearsrent.x10.mx to your brought domain. Which still wont completely fix your problem until you make either a SUB domain which points that folder or you fix the fact that you installed a single website into a folder of your public_html/www which is where the files should be placed sub folders are for site content or sub domains don't place the main website in a folder or you will need to load that folder in the link.

Right now if you eventually manage to park the domain assuming you actually do own the domain name because you will need to change add DNS settings on your domain providers end which points back to x10hosting you will still actually need to use the url www.thisyearsrent.com/thisyearsrent.com to load the website which is really silly. I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with the way you have uploaded the website but right now its in shambles until you figure out exactly how you want the page to load but loading from a folder in the root of the upload directory is only ever going force you to use the domain/foldername to access the site.

Thank you for your info, but the domain is a bought domain I paid for and I did change the DNS Settings awhile back. The website was working just fine a couple weeks ago with the way it is set up now by going to www.thisyearsrent.com. I didn't change anything. Weird. I added thisyearsrent.com as an addon domain, which I have done before and have never ran into this problem. Not sure why it's happening now. But thank you for your info again. I will try something different.

thisyearsrent

Reaction score
I just now removed the domain and re-added it as a addon domain, which created it's subdomain again. Now it works perfect. Didn't have to go thru all that stuff you were talking about. Also thank you for the indexing, it is now off.

Status
Not open for further replies.