Site refresh

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
In the time the servers have been down and whilst I am still waiting for the addon domain issue to be fixed, I thought I could spend some time redesigning my site's graphics and incorporating new functions.
As it stands, this is how it has currently progressed and I would be happy to hear any feedback you may have. More importantly, how does it compare to the prior version?
There are still a few graphics that need an update or further modification (e.g. Icon).

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I am using Firefox browser.
The "new" site seems to be completely loading for me but appears to be in a never ending state of refresh. The status bar indicates that the page is constantly transferring data and the graphics at the top are constantly blinking. Attempting to scroll to the bottom of the page is futile because as the page refreshes, (about once every one to two seconds), I am forced to the top of the page. On a positive note, I like the the new design and colors better than your "old" site. Cannot give you much more feedback than that because, due to the browser behavior I am experiencing at the new site, I cannot really look at it closely.

Sorry you are still experiencing issues with your hosting, but glad to hear you are using the down time for positive purposes such as improving your site.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I haven't seen that problem before, perhaps because I am using Firefox on a Mac. I'll try starting up Windows in a VM and see if I see the same problem.

Edit: I just tried it in Firefox for Windows and Internet Explorer and it seems to be fine. I will do some more thorough testing tomorrow. It certainly is possible that the process of getting or setting the page hash (#) is causing it to reload for some reason. The page checks to see if the hash has changed a few times a second, similar to what you said. I just wish 'onhashchange' was more widely implemented.
What exact OS and Browser version are you using?

Edit 2: Must check Linux too.

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Edit 2: Must check Linux too.
Sorry.
Should have mentioned this before as it likely very relevant.
Ubuntu 9.04
Firefox version 3.0.18 for Ubuntu
Hope this helps some.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There's some warnings:
Warning: Unknown: write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0
Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

Apart from that it's much better it looks much better then the previous one.

But ...
- You should definitely do something about your logo.
- Main menu text is to dark for it's background. Try to make it lighter (like white and light gray gradient), it'll be more visible.

Last edited:

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
The warnings should be gone now, I think they must be something to do with the server updates as they have only just started appearing.
- You should definitely do something about your logo.
I'm still trying to decide how to change the logo, I know it needs doing but I'm failing on the inspiration.
- Main menu text is to dark for it's background. Try to make it lighter (like white and light gray gradient), it'll be more visible.
Do you mean the text in the white boxes or the text on the background?

I should also be able to test out Firefox on Ubuntu later today.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I meant the text in your main navigation menu (Home, Categories, Uploads) on the top of the page.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry.
Should have mentioned this before as it likely very relevant.
Ubuntu 9.04
Firefox version 3.0.18 for Ubuntu
Hope this helps some.
I have tested Firefox under Ubuntu and didn't find any problems. Annoyingly, I forgot to look at the versions, so I may have to come back to you on that.

I meant the text in your main navigation menu (Home, Categories, Uploads) on the top of the page.
I have made them lighter, how is it now?

Thanks for the feedback so far too, it's much appreciated.

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's better now.

Although I like text shadow effect you should be careful with it cos too much of anything is not a good thing. You used it for all your text (even the smallest one) and that's just too much. Generally you should use it for titles and subtitles (H1, H2, and H3) and not for default text (P). Small text doesn't always look good with the shadow so try avoiding it.

Also dark text with dark shadow looks blurry.

Last edited:

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I have finally finished a new icon and pushed the site out to the main domain. There are couple of things left to do, namely text-shadow sorting etc. Better...worse?

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Definitely better but there's one small thing though (it's not that important). In the "Search Plans" box you have a form for "Distance", "Duration" and "Flight Type" where "Distance" and "Duration" inputs are not aligned. This is not a bog problem but having everything else aligned perfectly it, looks unfinished.