slave and master in hhd

cheezo

Reaction score
i have a harddrive which is in master, will my CDrom should be slave?
not sure what i'm doing.

should i let my cdrom be master since i wanna install using cd yet everytime i connect the cdrom to the ide cable, the computer won't boot.

help me. what then must be my settings?

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No need Brother.
Set is as follows.
Put the Setup CD into the drive, and press the Restart button on the computer case.
Use F10 or F8 or Del key when the Comp is getting powered up.Press above three a few times.
Make sure the computer prompts you to press a key to start the Setup. If it does not, you need to set the CD-Drive as the First Boot Device in Boot category in your computer's BIOS.

Installing Windows
After your computer reboots, a Black screen will appear showing the message 'Press any key to Boot from CD...'. Press any key.
Wait for a few seconds until the a Blue Screen pops up with the Title Windows Setup.
Follow the instructions on the screen to install Windows.
Select a drive for Windows to be installed, and choose its File System (FAT32 or NTFS).
After a number of restarts, the previous screen with 'Press any key to Boot from CD...' will appear. Ignore it this time.
Set the Regional and Language, and Network Settings, and let the Setup install windows. You can keep track of the progress on the Green Bar at the left side of the screen.
Install basic security software such as a firewall, antivirus program, and an anti-spyware program; the built-in Windows Firewall, Grisoft's AVG Free, and Safer Networking's Spybot S & D should work fine.
Update Windows and the security software. This should help protect against some viruses and improve stability.
Make sure that all your hardware is working. Unlike OEM installs, there can be some issues here. You might want to go to the hardware manufacturers' websites for the latest drivers.
You are done with installing Windows, now take a Quick Tour, as Windows will pop-up a message for it.

Did this help?

letapk

Reaction score
i have a harddrive which is in master, will my CDrom should be slave?
not sure what i'm doing.

should i let my cdrom be master since i wanna install using cd yet everytime i connect the cdrom to the ide cable, the computer won't boot.

help me. what then must be my settings?

Your hard drive should be master, and the CDROM the slave if they are both on the same IDE cable which should be plugged into the Primary connector on the mainboard.

If on separate cables, the hard drive should be master on its cable, plugged to the Primary. On the other cable, connected to the Secondary connector on the mainboard, the CDROM may be either master or slave.

Set the boot priority in the BIOS to boot from hard drive or CDROM.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
K. Patel

steronius

Reaction score
best to have cd-drive and hdd on separate ide-channels. having cd on same ide-channel may slow hdd traffic when cd is in use.

apisds

Reaction score
If you're using a cd or dvd writer, better make this the primary then make the harddrive the slave.

leo1954au

Reaction score
If you're using a cd or dvd writer, better make this the primary then make the harddrive the slave.

What apisd posted is rubbish, As a PC builder and repairer of countless years do exactly what letapk advised

apisds

Reaction score
Rubbish? The question was: "i have a harddrive which is in master, will my CDrom should be slave". Of course the cd-writer being ATAPI should NOT BE PLACED on the same cable as a faster drive (hard disk). It is always best to separate your harddisk from your optical drives IF YOU HAVE 2 IDE CONNECTORS on your mobo. Based on my experience (and testing) a system actually performs faster when the optical drive is master and the harddisk is slave (IF YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO PUT THEM ON ONE IDE CABLE). Try doing it yourself. Put the optical drive on master, harddisk on slave and perform a benchmark while burning on a dvd. Compare it with the harddisk on master and cd on slave. On my system, the first config actually performs faster.

In short, if your mobo has 2 IDE connectors, SEPARATE THE CDWRITER AND HARD DISK and set both as master.
If YOU HAVE ONLY ONE IDE CONNECTOR ON YOUR MOBO, IMHO cdwriter should be master, harddisk slave. This is only according to my opinion and according to my tests (and countless years as PC builder and repairer of computers/servers).

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
For my i845; I have always used this:

Primary Master: 80 GB HDD
Primary Slave: 40 GB HDD

Secondary Master: DVD-RW
Secondary Slave: DVD-ROM

PATA devices are limited to one operation at a time.
So, they shouldn’t ideally be on the same cable.

For one cable, it doesn’t matter.

Note:
If by Master/Slave you thought it be remnant of pre-Luther-King era in modern computer world, then you are wrong and It is not so.
Priority selection depends solely on OS.
They just happened to be named so.

Thanks

By the way get over it, get SATA! HaHa !

kurtlinux63

Reaction score
For my i845; I have always used this:

By the way get over it, get SATA! HaHa !

Yeah! Hahaha. PATA was always a touchy issue with lots of people having different opinions, especially when specifics are not pointed out (40-wire 80-wire, etc. etc.) Glad we have SATA nowadays. Beats the hell out of selecting which config to use (master, slave, cable select, etc)

letapk

Reaction score
Just press F8 and choose from where do you want to boot,,,, HD or CD simple right

Well, pressing F8 may not work on all mainboards.

On one of my desktops, pressing ESC during bootup brings up a menu from which a boot device can be selected for that particular boot.

On another desktop, however, to do the same thing I need to enter the BIOS and select the boot device.

This facility helps to do a one-time boot from a device different from, and override, the boot-priority specified in the BIOS.

Needless to say, the BIOS needs to be protected with a password to prevent this convenience from being misused by somebody else.

--
K.Patel
http://kpatel.x10hosting.com.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Just press F8 and choose from where do you want to boot,,,, HD or CD simple right

Well, pressing F8 may not work on all mainboards.

On one of my desktops, pressing ESC during bootup brings up a menu from which a boot device can be selected for that particular boot.

On another desktop, however, to do the same thing I need to enter the BIOS and select the boot device.

This facility helps to do a one-time boot from a device different from, and override, the boot-priority specified in the BIOS.

Needless to say, the BIOS needs to be protected with a password to prevent this convenience from being misused by somebody else.

--
K.Patel

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Sorry about the double post. Apologies.
:redface:

--
K.Patel