SMF : PHP Mailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartflight

Reaction score
So I have this smf forum hosted here, and I want to use PHP mail to send out e-mails, like activation e-mails or birthday e-mails.
I am aware that the limit is for 100 mails an hour (I suggest it should 120 mails an hour, since 1.6 mails a minute (or 100 mails an hour) is not really practical).

How do I go about it?
When I ask smf to resend me activation e-mail, it says it has sent it! But I don't receive it.
It used to work before..I remember receiving a birthday email on February 2!

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Have you made any changes or installed any plugins or extensions?

smartflight

Reaction score
Well, I have a lot of packages (or extensions, or mods, you may say).

But I don't think that has to affect the php mail thing. I had mods before 2 Feb as well!

Edit: Those mods have nothing to do with the php mailing thing.

Last edited:

smartflight

Reaction score
I recently saw posts reporting more problem with php mail() function, one on chopin.
Is this a server issue then?
Anyone on Chopin using SMF and having this issue? Am I alone?

drf1229

Reaction score
I've experienced issues with mail() recently. I wonder if this is a server issue too.

david852

Reaction score
SMTP Error! Could not connect to SMTP host.

thats error i get when trying to send test emails im on chopin...mail function used to work fine, but now its not..
the only plug in i have added is a store called virtuemart..havent touched mail settings

smartflight

Reaction score
Guess it's the server then..so many people are having the same issue, and noticeably on Chopin!
What's up x10hosting?

Fishbowl444

Reaction score
Well, although Im not entirely sure, our SMF forum has had problems with sending mails too... But we're on Stoli... Huh.

smartflight

Reaction score
Yeah, stoli is also having problems. Boss is the best has notified the admins..and it should be back soon!
Maybe there's some hardware upgrade going on!

smartflight

Reaction score
Happy to see that the MySQL issues have been solved. Any info on the php mail, though?

Edit: My forum is working, but not my blog. So I guess some sites are working fine now- not all!

Last edited:

drf1229

Reaction score
Found a solution to the mail issue. Try sending the message through google's smtp network instead of x10hosting's.

smartflight

Reaction score
Google's SMTP or GMail's?
I'm just a little confused here because while googling about how to use GMail with SMF, I came across "Google's SMTP"..so, just to confirm it!

And if you're using GMail, then, PM me the settings..like what port and all! Would be helpful, I tried a few but didn't work.
If it's google's SMTP, link me up!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.