SMTP Issues with PHPMailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

b.kehlmeier55

Reaction score
Nothing has changed in my script, but over the last two weeks, sending out emails has become a problem. It worked last week and I have no idea why it corrected itself. Now it is not working again. It looks to me like maybe the port is getting routed back to Stoli?

SMTP -> FROM SERVER:220-stoli.x10hosting.com ESMTP Exim 4.77 #2 Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:05:06 -0400 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited, 220 and/or bulk e-mail.
SMTP -> FROM SERVER: 250-stoli.x10hosting.com Hello stoli.x10hosting.com [69.175.122.178] 250-SIZE 52428800 250-PIPELINING 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN 250-STARTTLS 250 HELP
SMTP -> FROM SERVER:220 TLS go ahead
SMTP -> FROM SERVER: 250-stoli.x10hosting.com Hello stoli.x10hosting.com [69.175.122.178] 250-SIZE 52428800 250-PIPELINING 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN 250 HELP
SMTP -> ERROR: Password not accepted from server: 535 Incorrect authentication data
SMTP -> FROM SERVER:250 Reset OK
SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

Any ideas? I have tried resetting the Gmail password. Like I said, nothing changed on my end. In fact, I haven't touched the code in a year. Is Google turning down Stoli with a 535 message? I see the generic 220 message/warning, then the 535 error and I confirmed it works with Thunderbird, etc. I haven't sent an email out via that account in months, so I don't think it could be blacklisted.

Could this be the cause? http://helgeklein.com/blog/2012/05/...g-to-send-mail-via-google-apps-smtp-from-php/

From my perspective, it appears that the FROM SERVER is indicating that the smtp port is getting routed back to Stoli and of course I don't have an account with them, as I am trying to use Gmail.

Last edited:

northe5

Banned
Reaction score
535 is a incorrect password or account name error

i dont know if they have changed anything to be really honest as ive only just signed up a couple of days ago :)

b.kehlmeier55

Reaction score
I know that much. I have confirmed it cannot be an username/password issue at Google.

When I send a message to another server, say the one at my work, the FROM SERVER will be that server; the one that is answering, and it says "Hello Stoli". Those messages look like the request has been rerouted BACK to Stoli and Stoli is saying "Hello Stoli". Weird.

b.kehlmeier55

Reaction score
I have confirmed I get the exact same error messages when trying to reach the SMTP server at Yahoo. What is going on? Is this not happening to anyone else?

b.kehlmeier55

Reaction score
I'm simply using PHPMailer to send emails through the SMTP server for Gmail. It worked easily and correctly for a year, and in that time only about 50 emails were sent, so I can't be blacklisted. Suddenly two weeks ago, it started to fail. I don't think I am even communicating with the proper server. Something is being rerouted I assume.

b.kehlmeier55

Reaction score
Come on guys!
Can you elaborate? Are you having the same issue? If you are referring to the From server, this is what I am saying. My code is setting the host to smtp.gmail.com, yet Stoli as answering. At least this is what I am taking from it. If so, a reroute is the only answer, correct?

Last edited:

RyanThaDude

Reaction score
This is an ongoing issue for me, too. I've got a long thread here in the forums regarding using GMail with SMTP and the exact same issue. For now I've set up an email in CPanel and using that one with SMTP and it seems to be delivering mail although I still don't trust it. FWIW, I've got a ticket that's been open for over a month now and still haven't been resolved.

jupilerl

Reaction score
I do not have this issue myself, but seen the error message, it should have something to do with authentication towards the gmail smtp server.

If I were you, I would open a support thread at phpmailer forums to address this issue. I do not believe that this has to do with the server you are running phpmail on, rather it should be an configuration issue...

b.kehlmeier55

Reaction score
I do not have this issue myself, but seen the error message, it should have something to do with authentication towards the gmail smtp server.

If I were you, I would open a support thread at phpmailer forums to address this issue. I do not believe that this has to do with the server you are running phpmail on, rather it should be an configuration issue...

Nothing points towards PHPMailer. It was working fine and I use the same code for other applications. I guess I am just gonna have to host somewhere else. I see no other option, especially after the news above from another member.

b.kehlmeier55

Reaction score
This is an ongoing issue for me, too. I've got a long thread here in the forums regarding using GMail with SMTP and the exact same issue. For now I've set up an email in CPanel and using that one with SMTP and it seems to be delivering mail although I still don't trust it. FWIW, I've got a ticket that's been open for over a month now and still haven't been resolved.

Why is that thread closed BTW?

jupilerl

Reaction score
Could we perhaps review your configuration? Before posting it, make all important info as xxx (eg. username: xxx@gmail.com/password: xxx)...?

b.kehlmeier55

Reaction score
Code:
        $mail = new PHPMailer();
	$mail->IsSMTP();
	$mail->SMTPDebug = 3; // 1 = errors and messages, 2 = messages only
	$mail->SMTPAuth = true;
	$mail->SMTPSecure = "tls";
	$mail->Host = "smtp.gmail.com";
	$mail->Port = 587;
	$mail->Username = "ADDRESS";
	$mail->Password = "PASSWORD";
	$mail->SetFrom("ADDRESS", "Evil Elf");
	$mail->AddReplyTo("ADDRESS","Evil Elf");
	$mail->Subject = "Draft Results";
	$mail->AltBody = "To view the message, please use an HTML compatible email viewer!"; // plain-text version
	$mail->WordWrap = 75;
	$mail->MsgHTML($body);

I still don't see the point in reviewing any code, where no one can explain why Stoli is answering the request or if that actually isn't the case. Trying to use Yahoo results in the same messages back from Stoli. I apologize if I seem short, just frustrated.

I just ran the same PHPMailer code from another server and it works. The From message comes from Google. I just don't think the port is allowing me through on Stoli.

SMTP -> FROM SERVER:220 mx.google.com ESMTP i65sm38389723yhb.3

SMTP -> FROM SERVER: 250-mx.google.com at your service, [108.93.247.217]

Looking back at logs, the Google server does not even post a 220 message with a bulk warning.

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
The set up worked before.
They have not changed the set up.
The set up no longer works.

What makes you think it is the fault of the configuration?

jupilerl

Reaction score
If X10 changed something in the servers' config, then the config these users are using might be screwed. So, it remains a config issue. But what the heck, who am I to think? I merely a users trying to help out.

However, I would rather love to hear from b.kehlmeier55 if any of the steps/solutions provided were of any help?

b.kehlmeier55

Reaction score
I've tried everything I can and my ticket is just sitting there. I don't expect to have anyone bend over backwards for free host member, but some sort of help would be nice. If something worked, then something changed on x10's end, and now it does not work, it would be nice to know what changed. What is really interesting is how it worked last week for a day or two and then broke again. Something is screwed up. I may just use and old box and set up a server myself at this point as this is getting too much of a pain.

It is a simple problem and I believe I know what is wrong. Why can't I get a simple answer on whether that port is getting routed back to Stoli. Until someone explains otherwise, that is my assumption.

b.kehlmeier55

Reaction score
So I setup an email account with x10 and am successfully sending messages out from Stoli. This pretty much proves my point. The debug statements are the same. I am pretty sure my communication to the Google server is getting directed back to Stoli for some reason.

SMTP -> FROM SERVER:220-stoli.x10hosting.com ESMTP Exim 4.77 #2 Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:12:36 -0400 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited, 220 and/or bulk e-mail.
SMTP -> FROM SERVER: 250-stoli.x10hosting.com Hello stoli.x10hosting.com [69.175.122.178]

Status
Not open for further replies.