So can this host run ASP?

garry68

Reaction score
I was directed here from an article that said this site hosted ASP.
But when I uploaded something using ASP it didn't work.
I was looking for a free site that I could use to test some ASP, VBScript server-side with JavaScript at the client, based pages.
So am I in the wrong place? And can you suggest an alternative?

I probably will still uses this site for testing my PHP stuff though, as it looks like a good host... pity the ASP don't work!

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
ASP.whatever does not run here. Most Free systems do not run it either. You can try Google.

garry68

Reaction score
Thanks,

Google stopped support for ASP hosting... Oh! you mean search in Google... Yeh, that's where I found the link to here saying this was one of a list of hosts that supported ASAP!

Just goes to show you that you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, whood'a thunk it!

On the up side it looks like I've stumbled across a very decent free host!

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
No, not even on paid.

http://x10premium.com/buynow.php

They have Perl and Python added, but no ASP.whatever.

ASP is a Windows technology and is best run on a Windows Server, not *nix. *nix sort of supports it via Mono, but if you are intent on developing ASP sites, go with a Windows host.

ajordan91

Banned
Reaction score
you can run some ASP.NET programs using MONO in x10hosting's paid (not free) accounts

ASP.NET is a Web application framework developed and marketed by Microsoft ( for Windows servers )

x10hosting servers are Linux

the two are like oil and water

you need to look for a host that has Windows servers

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to quick have everyone stop for half a minute here, as there's two separate languages being discussed which is causing 100% confusion.

The original question mentioned ASP. Half of the replies here are mentioning ASP.Net. The two are NOT the same.

ASP is older, and only supported by Windows.

ASP.Net is newer, and actually superseded ASP. ASP.Net is able to be emulated mostly (see below) on Linux via the mod_mono project, which Premium does have. The comparison page also explicitly states ASP.Net. There is a large difference between the two, as one is 100% Windows only, while the other can be partially emulated on illuminated/premium hosting.

So, as descalzo did mention earlier in post #2, ASP.Anything doesn't work on Free (in any way, shape, or form, whether it's ASP.Net or just ASP). As mentioned in post #5, Premium also doesn't support regular ASP.

Posts #4 and #6 are both right as well, as they mention that ASP.Net (SPECIFICALLY asp.net) does work somewhat on Paid.

That said, because of it being emulated via the mod_mono project, not 100% of all ASP.net code will work as expected, and in addition some code will actually not function at all. It is supported, but if you're dead-set on ASP.net working as intended, you do want to actually find a windows host, as that's the only guaranteed way that ASP.net will perform as expected (if you look at http://www.mono-project.com/Compatibility , it actually shows what sections don't work, and some of those sections might be critical to the project you're running).

Hopefully that straightens out any of the confusion, at least for the moment.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ASP is older, and only supported by Windows.

That's not quite true -- you can run ASP, to an extent similar to ASP.NET under Mono, using Apache::ASP. That would require a VPS (or a dedicated/colo server) because you'd need to install an Apache built with the module, so it's not available with either Free Hosting, Illuminated or Premium. Apache::ASP is essentially an ASP interpreter written on Perl with hooks into Apache to intercept and handle the requests. It's not quite at the same level as the now-defunct ChiliSoft/SunOne ASP module (which died when Oracle ate Sun, so you can't get the required license anymore even if you can find the binary or source), but it does let you run the majority of VBScript/ASP on *nix.

Classic ASP, though, is abandonware -- Microsoft IIS will still run it, but it hasn't been actively supported for more than a decade even on the MS stack. There is no good reason to do any new development on ASP, even if you know you're going to be deploying to a Windows environment. The only reason MS still includes a runtime is because they can't afford to strand existing customers; forcing code migration would simply stop server upgrade sales.