So I noticed my box was running a little warm...

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
My reference to a malfunctioning firewall was a joke I stole from a Dilbert cartoon. Think about it. :)
Oh... lol I get it. I thought you were talking in literal terms.

Here's more specifications:

Memory
Type: DDR2
Chanels #: Dual
Size: 2048 MBytes
DRAM Frequency: 332.5 MHz
FSB:DRAM: 1:2
CAS# Latency (CL): 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP): 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 15 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 21 clocks

SPD
Slot #1
DDR2
Module Size: 1024 MBytes
Correction: None
Max Bandwidth: PC2-5300 (333 MHz)
Manufacturer: Hyundai Electronics
Part Number: HYMP512S64CP8-Y5
Slot #2
DDR2
Manufacturer: Samsung
Part Number: M4 70T2953EZ3-CE6

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Oh... lol I get it. I thought you were talking in literal terms.

Here's more specifications:

Memory
Type: DDR2
Chanels #: Dual
Size: 2048 MBytes
DRAM Frequency: 332.5 MHz
FSB:DRAM: 1:2
CAS# Latency (CL): 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP): 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 15 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 21 clocks

SPD
Slot #1
DDR2
Manufacturer: Hyundai Electronics
Part Number: HYMP512S64CP8-Y5
Slot #2
DDR2
Manufacturer: Samsung
Part Number: M4 70T2953EZ3-CE6

Ah, so the RAM is running at 800Mhz tops (seems to be running more at 666Mhz). Higher clocked RAM does produce more heat, so that's some of the source of heat. Other sources would of course be the processor if it's loaded, as well as your video card if you have a GeForce/Radeon card. Those Intel Media Accelerator cards shouldn't make that much.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Ah, so the RAM is running at 800Mhz tops (seems to be running more at 666Mhz). Higher clocked RAM does produce more heat, so that's some of the source of heat. Other sources would of course be the processor if it's loaded, as well as your video card if you have a GeForce/Radeon card. Those Intel Media Accelerator cards shouldn't make that much.
Um... I don't really know what that means, which probably means that I shouldn't go about trying to fix my overheating problem. It survived last summer, and hopefully it can survive this one.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
which probably means that I shouldn't go about trying to fix my overheating problem.
no, I wouldn't draw that conclusion. overheating if it doesn't kill your computer immediately, can shorten its life even if the computer still lives for a couple more years.

pceasies

Reaction score
I've cleaned my PC and other PCs this way and it works pretty well. You'd not imagine how much dust builds up when you have pets. I don't remember temperatures, but mine always seems be be pretty dusty (clean it around 6 months)

freenetter

Reaction score
I try and clean my box out at least once a month as I've been experiencing much the same thing: it runs incredibly quieter right after I vacuum the whole thing out.:thefinger

I heard from various tech forums that vacuuming one's PC case generates static electricity, which can be harmful for certain components. Is that :nuts: or not?

zen-r

Reaction score
I heard from various tech forums that vacuuming one's PC case generates static electricity, which can be harmful for certain components. Is that :nuts: or not?

See my post near the start of this thread. Yes, it can do - so be careful if you vacuum, & beware that components containing ICs could fail (though one usually gets away with it).