Some beginner questions

ztschutt

Reaction score
I recently got a vps, and I have some questions about setting up custom nameservers. Since I only have one ip how should I setup the nameservers? Should I just put the same ip address for ns1 and ns2? My registrar is GoDaddy by the way.

I have little linux experience, and am planning on learning as I go with this, so sorry if I ask stupid questions. I am using CentOs and the only thing I have installed on it is Webmin.

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
You can set ns1 and ns2 to the same IP but that is not recommended. Why not just get another IP address ? I have a total of 4 now. If I remember correctly additional IP's are only $1.00 per month at x10Hosting.

No such thing as "stupid questions". We were all beginners at one point and are very happy to help out.

ztschutt

Reaction score
So how would I get another ip? Do I have to fill out a support ticket and ask?

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I think you were the one I just gave the IP too, feel free to ask if you need anything else.

ztschutt

Reaction score
Awesome. I just got the second ip and set it up as ns2 on Godaddy.
What should I set the name servers of the domain that they are setup on? Would I set example.com's name servers to ns1.example.com & ns2.example.com?

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Just set the nameservers to ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com. Make sure you add A entries for them in your VPS.

Did you get cPanel?

ztschutt

Reaction score
No, I'm using the unmanaged server. I have installed Webmin on the server.

ztschutt

Reaction score
Thanks! I got the domain working. How would I setup a mail server? Is there a specific one that would work well on CentOS?

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Very much like your choice of OS for the server, there are several options available for mail servers and there are many different opinions about which is best and why. I have CentOS on my VPS and I am using Dovecot / Sendmail / SpamAssassin combination and that has been working well for me. But, do some research on the Internet and possibly wait for a few more opinions here before you make any final decision. Some of this can be installed from within Webmin. Some mail server components will need to be installed and configured by command line.

ztschutt

Reaction score
Thanks! I just got the mail server setup. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later though. :)