Some CSS help please (a tad maddening)

MasterMax1313

Reaction score
I have this school website that I'm working on porting over from static html to php, from one server to another, and from using gobs and gobs of tables, to using divs. I had most of it working, except that I was using CSS bottom, absolute positioning to place a couple of footers on the page, which caused these divs to overlap some of the rest of the page. taking off height:100% from html and body fixed that but has now caused the positioning of the elements to be screwed up. It should look mostly like this, but instead it looks like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that this problem occurs in FF, but looks fine in IE7

Last edited:

taekwondokid42

Reaction score
There is probably a difference in the syntaxes of the different browsers. The easiest way to fix everything is to just use a different set of code for each browser type. You would first need to know the browser type that your client is using though. Such functions can be found in javascript. That is the annoying thing about not using all server side code.

The other, probably faster, but also probably harder thing to do is to make a code that fixes everything, regardless of browser type.

Your first link leads to a dead end, so sorry I can't be more specific.

TarouSensei

Reaction score
Assuming want you want is to get the copyright text to the bottom of the browser window and keep it there, you could use (i)frames. It isn't a CSS solution, but it could work for you. I don't recall the code you would need right off, as I haven't done anything like this in ages. Wish I could be more helpful.

Garlund

Reaction score
Or you could just use <center><div id="whateverhere"> and </div></center>.

I use that. Works very well :D

stainnn

Reaction score
From my experience i would advise you never to use ablsolute positioning, never, it's used for special purposes only

can you please be more specific what is the problem, both versions seem broken to me :(

MasterMax1313

Reaction score
granted the first one looks kind of lousy, it uses gobs and gobs of nested tables, which I'm trying to avoid. So instead, I'm trying to use just divs.

I'm not entirely sure how, namely because I've not gotten SVN working on my computer yet (no time), so I don't have change tracking enabled for this site, but somehow this issue seems to have been fixed. My best guess is by tossing an extra div below the three columns to act as a container for the footer

Just one last question for anyone that might be able to help, how do you center text or anything for that matter in a div, vertically. The goal here is to have the site title from the second site be centered vertically in the div. Any thoughts?