Something I've noticed here

brittbr2

Reaction score
I've been reading over topics and I've noticed some people are unhappy with this host it's a FREE host and the support staff here are VOLUNTERS so please be patient I've used this host in the past and was happy but if your going to be rude it wouldn't want me to help you

Ohso

Prime Account
Reaction score
They are pretty good with getting back to you on the free forums, true. Imagine coming home from work, or being at work. I'd be pulling my hair out personally =p

Last edited:

jeffswor

Reaction score
Seems like nice fast hosting to me so far. And yes, One should really not complain about anything that is free I suppose?

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Seems like nice fast hosting to me so far. And yes, One should really not complain about anything that is free I suppose?
No, that's the wrong attitude! Taking x10Hosting out of the equation as it obviously doesn't apply, but even if something's free, if it's crap you should always complain. It may make things better, but even if it does not, it serves as a warning to others who may sign up later on.

What's always funny is seeing reviews from those who try to use pirated website solutions and complain that x10Hosting has the audacity to shut the site down. Crazy!

nullproj

Reaction score
No, that's the wrong attitude! Taking x10Hosting out of the equation as it obviously doesn't apply, but even if something's free, if it's crap you should always complain. It may make things better, but even if it does not, it serves as a warning to others who may sign up later on.

What's always funny is seeing reviews from those who try to use pirated website solutions and complain that x10Hosting has the audacity to shut the site down. Crazy!

In regards to that I do have a question, I know its not ok to run pirated based websites, but is it doable to run a website that has the technology that is run from those? Like lets say we wanted to skip cloud services like Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, even Dropbox also even skip open source solutions and SVN options like Github and Sourceforge, would it be possible to open options through torrents to make our development content avalible without having to use server resources such as space and a big chunk of bandwidth.

For example, if a person was working on a video game project that was 2gb download, would it be ok to distribute that via torrent rather than upload to any source.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It sounds like you're asking if you can seed a torrent from your web hosting account? If so: No, that's not technically possible. Please clarify if that is not your intention.

nullproj

Reaction score
What I mean is hosting a tracker based system and seeding the torrent through an alternative data server I set up but the torrent gets downloaded from the website, rather than use up the x10 hostings resources it would be using up the resources of the data server to get the seeded game files to whoever is downloading it, not opening up the tracker to piracy though and it would be IP locked to the data server so nobody can do uploads to the tracker so people can't use it to pirate software. However the people downloading the 2gb game can share the game file and speed up the downloading process like other trackers do. I'm not talking about using the x10 hosting to seed the files themselves, just host the tracker that the development files would go through.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Please explain your clever idea for making sure that it can't be used for piracy, etc. "Address locking" won't do anything; the host would still have to either scrutinize the files or take your word for it. A lot can happen in a swarm in the time it takes to verify files. You can always use another tracker and add a magnet link (though that wold probably be subject to some degree of scrutiny). I can't see any way in which this host can run a tracker and not expose themselves to contributory infringement.

nullproj

Reaction score
For example, I run a data server somewhere, that hosts files such as video games I develop that vary from 2gb - 6gb downloads. Instead of hosting them on the web server I host them on the data server which uses a torrent program that attaches to a seed tracker that is hosted on x10. However, people cannot host their own torrent information on this tracker so people cannot take exclusive use of it, they can only download the data that is being streamed through the tracker and able to share what they have downloaded with other peers as well. This tracker won't have a registration method, but will have a way to track incoming traffic to specific torrents I set, I would have to set each torrent in manually and come from a specific IP. The only connection it would allow from other peers is to access the files and download them, but wont be able to provide upload to the tracker and data server itself rendering the tracker useless to people who would want to attach themselves to the tracker to distribute pirated software and the only files being shared is the content I create.

Sorry about the late response, been hectic the past couple of days, but I do wonder is this a doable solution to distribute my own software? Or should I just stick to cloud services, github and sourceforge.

dWhite

Reaction score
I've been reading over topics and I've noticed some people are unhappy with this host it's a FREE host and the support staff here are VOLUNTERS so please be patient I've used this host in the past and was happy but if your going to be rude it wouldn't want me to help you

As a customer support in any field, you're duty is to help the customer regardless of their attitude while staying professional.

Also just because something is free, doesn't mean you don't have the right to complain. You have the right to complain, whether you get it for free or pay for it, as a consumer.

bmccoy11

Reaction score
For example, I run a data server somewhere, that hosts files such as video games I develop that vary from 2gb - 6gb downloads. Instead of hosting them on the web server I host them on the data server which uses a torrent program that attaches to a seed tracker that is hosted on x10. However, people cannot host their own torrent information on this tracker so people cannot take exclusive use of it, they can only download the data that is being streamed through the tracker and able to share what they have downloaded with other peers as well. This tracker won't have a registration method, but will have a way to track incoming traffic to specific torrents I set, I would have to set each torrent in manually and come from a specific IP. The only connection it would allow from other peers is to access the files and download them, but wont be able to provide upload to the tracker and data server itself rendering the tracker useless to people who would want to attach themselves to the tracker to distribute pirated software and the only files being shared is the content I create.

Sorry about the late response, been hectic the past couple of days, but I do wonder is this a doable solution to distribute my own software? Or should I just stick to cloud services, github and sourceforge.
Peer5 should work, it's an HTML5 P2P downloader. The problem is that it doesn't like Varnish, so you'd need another web host unless you can somehow get x10Hosting to completely disable it on your site.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If the Free Hosting server is involved in the transaction at all, it'll get your account suspended.

bmccoy11

Reaction score
If the Free Hosting server is involved in the transaction at all, it'll get your account suspended.
That's true, especially with huge files... I think Dropbox or MEGA would be the best solution.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
We do not allow continuously-running/unattended scripts on our Free Hosting servers, so any form of tracker would be a no-go just from that. I recommend using a public tracker to distribute your software and just provide a link to the specific .torrent file on it in your website if you are absolutely set on distributing the content via torrent as opposed to a file hosting service like dropbox/box/etc.