something that would make gamers have a heart attack

eagles051387

Reaction score
my boss just put in a 9600gt in his gaming server i honestly think thats such a waste. i would give anything to have a beastly gaming machine with 2 of those puppies in it but i dont have the money lol.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Wait wait wait wait WAIT.

He put this in the SERVER? Not the machine that's doing the actual gaming?

What is he smoking, cause it's killing his wallet. He coulda just stuck with onboard video for the server cause it's not like the dedicated servers usually have flashy graphics on them.

As for killing for a dual 9600gt setup, I probably wouldn't _kill_ for it, but I'd want it. Only question is what cpu could I put in the board that actually runs it - can I put in dual quad cores to help match the power of the video?

Cause if the video's overpowered compared to the rest of the system it's not gunna work as well. It'd be like putting a Ferrari in a go-kart race with a speed limit of 10mph - the video's the ferrari, but it'd be held back by everything else in the system cause nothing else can keep up :(

Smack your boss for me though, 'kay? 9600gt is way too overpowered for a gaming server (so is an 8800gt, he coulda just stuck in a desktop graphics card like a Radeon 7000/9250 (the same ones in my old pc's which were gaming pc's but the cards were the weak link) and he'dve been fine)

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
A server? SERVER? wtf. I don't belive a server even needs a graphics card

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
What a pointless waste of money. One of those amazing graphics cards in a server that's probably either going to display purely text all it's life or some crappy GUI? Does that guy even know what he's doing? Stupid person lol....

-Luke.

TarouSensei

Reaction score
Dude.... ask if he will buy you some tech supplies. If he will put something that great in a game server, imagine what he would put in a gaming computer.

VPmase

Reaction score
Wow. I would love to see what kind of gaming PC he has and its specs.

koyut

Reaction score
Maybe you should explain why he doesn't need that and you could buy it from him and pay installment basis.

woiwky

Reaction score
Don't say anything to him. Take it when he isn't around and he'll probably never realize it's gone. It'd be a crime *not* to.

santiago_pl

Reaction score
Maybe someone told him that he should do that so they could sell them a expensive e-vga