Sony announces 80GB PS3 will be $399 in Sept.

boom_media

Reaction score
At its E3 press conference today, Sony announced that, starting in September, the 80GB PS3 would be available for $399.99, down from the $499 Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle currently in place for the 80GB configuration. The newly priced 80GB system will be on par with "the current functionality of the 40GB PS3," according to Sony CEO Jack Tretton. We're not sure if this means the cheaper 80GB system will be losing functionality (like SD card readers and software PS2 emulation) that the 40GB system doesn't have, but we'll let you know as soon as we get this clarified.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would want a gimped PS3 with a bigger hard drive. Put backwards compatibility into it and add all the ports back and I'll buy one.

skai123

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would want a gimped PS3 with a bigger hard drive. Put backwards compatibility into it and add all the ports back and I'll buy one.

Not everyone wants backwards compatibility, or the card slots...

Why don't you go out and get the MGS4 bundle then?

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not everyone wants backwards compatibility, or the card slots...

Why don't you go out and get the MGS4 bundle then?

They're what, 500? Too rich for my tastes.

The sad thing about it is is that Sony is replacing the current 80 gb ones with the gimped one... They must be taking quite a loss to not drop the price of the current models.

They need to start thinking about a $300 model. That's when I'd buy one, with or without BC, just for a Blu-Ray player.

Last edited: