Spyking on your own kids?

tom.rune.breivold96

Reaction score
I'd like to start a general discussion on wether or not to spy on kids in order to find out on their "web behaviours".
We all raise our kids as best we can, but how about all temptations on the net?

I know enough to install an configure software for logging all kinds of chatting and social software.. but should one do this?

My kids are my friends on Facebook and Skype, so they know I am there... is this enough?

Also, we talk alot about what is smart and not....... is this adequate?

What you think folks?

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I myself would rather advocate for the other side, meaning that education is key. I'd prefer educating my kids (when I have them, I don't have any yet, but have much younger siblings) about what is proper computer-wise etiquette and behaviour. I'd also encourage communication, and make sure to remind them that there is nothing that cannot be discussed. Monitoring (not spying) would be a last resort.

Francis_J

Reaction score
As ideal as open communication may sound, a child will eventually shy away from telling their parents everything, especially about sensitive private stuff. There's always that feeling that a parent will not always understand. I mean, let's be honest. I bet you (reader) yourself have something that you haven't taken up with your parents. So using that knowledge. I know that as novel as open communication may sound, it may be hard to apply.

So in a nutshell, as a parent. I reserve the right to be able to spy on my kids but only on matters that should require the method, not spy on them in all aspects. I mean. As long as they are living under my roof and using my resources, I should have a say on things that need intervention where needed.

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
no. I do not want my parents to know what I'm doing when they think everything they don't understand is bad. I don't do anything bad, they THINK the things I do is bad - like forums, file managing etc

and especially when it's a teen, the parents have to respect their privacy unless they have a reason to not trust the teen on the internet.

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
No way.
I would never do that to my kids. I'd respect their privacy and give them their space.
I don't believe in the whole "parental control" ordeal, the words "parental controls" itself just sounds wrong to me... I'd rather stick with the more techie terms "content filtering / proxy server"... THOSE words sounds more right in my book... I do have a content filter installed on my network, but it's not used to block anything most parents would find objectional, I primarily use it for blocking Advertisements, Malware Domains, and other websites that could harm your computer. And monitoring someone's computer usage just isn't something I would do unless I felt like it was absolutely necessary. A last resort. I'd teach them the meanings of Netiquette before assuming what they're doing online is bad.

spectrodesigns12

Reaction score
i dont know about this because my dad knows hardly nothing of what is to be trusted and not to be trusted he keeps constantly asking me about my site and what is it and gets really pushy and smart over it

i wouldnt mind
its a gaming forum -_-

frankfriend

Reaction score
What to do when your kids install spyware on your machines and startt watching you watching them?

Darkmere

Reaction score
Switch to Linux :)
Doesn't get spyware :)
Totally worth it

False statement ... LINUX can and will get Spyware, you just have to be really stupid to get it. But most people that make Spyware wont make them for LINUX machines because LINUX isnt a very popular OS and they feel it is a waste of time.

garrette

Reaction score
Being 17 myself, I wouldn't have a problem with it. In my opinion, if you aren't doing anything bad, then you shouldn't have a problem with them checking up on what you are looking or posting on the internet. The only problem I would have, is if they went through all my messages on sites like facebook. Then that would bother me a bit.

But it's the parents choice, not the kids. If they have given you a reason to not trust them, then I think that there is nothing wrong with spying on them when they are on the computer. Especially if it's your computer. I just think that you should give them a heads up that you are spying on them though, just to give them a fair warning.

Darkmere

Reaction score
Being 17 myself, I wouldn't have a problem with it. In my opinion, if you aren't doing anything bad, then you shouldn't have a problem with them checking up on what you are looking or posting on the internet. The only problem I would have, is if they went through all my messages on sites like facebook. Then that would bother me a bit.

But it's the parents choice, not the kids. If they have given you a reason to not trust them, then I think that there is nothing wrong with spying on them when they are on the computer. Especially if it's your computer. I just think that you should give them a heads up that you are spying on them though, just to give them a fair warning.

Well the point of spying is to ensure your not doing anything wrong. And I dont think giving them a warning is a wise isea. That would be like me being a Credit Agency and calling you up telling you that your car is up for repo. If you warn them they are still going to do what ever it is they are doing just not on the systems you can get a hold of.

garrette

Reaction score
I was just saying that giving them a fair warning would be nice, as a means of keeping their privacy to an extent. I personally have a friend in highschool who's parents do this, and they don't get on other systems to "continue" any bad behavior they have. As a teenager still (17 in college), I can say that we are pretty busy or just too lazy. I don't have the time to find loopholes around a parent spying on me on the computer. It's like locking a candy bar in a safe, you are much less likely to go through that whole process than say, if you were to leave it in the fridge.