Sub-domains already exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooprapp

Reaction score
Hi there,
Can one of the Administrators please flush my account's DNS Records?
I currently have my "One Parked Domain" and "1 Addon Domain"; I've recently setup a sub-domain "api" then I removed it because I figured I'd rather have it on my company's root instead of my project's.

So, I then added the sub-domain to my company's root and made the change from my project to my company's root. Then, I started running into issues saying I've met all of my account's domain limits (I've not).

I currently have:
  • 1 Parked Domain Name
  • 1 Addon Domain Name
I should still have (should be available):
  • 1 Addon Domain Name
  • 2 Sub-Domain Names
What I'm trying to achieve (which is allowed by the default "free" hosting limits) is I want my root domain, my project's domain and for both of them to serve an "api" sub-domain.

Please help me resolve this as I've been running into difficulties. I did this on my previous host in five(5) minutes. They offered "Unlimited" everything but had a worse trafficking limit than x10.

Also, I'm routing from Freenom to Cloudflare successfully; is there anyway I can enforce a "Full" SSL here on x10 FREE ONLY or only "Flexible"?

lylex10h

Reaction score
Let me explain with my account why you are probably not going to get that second sub-domain:
My x10 "Your Domain" is: kolbys.x10host.com
I then added my domain, kolbys.net, as an addon domain (I have one remaining) | cPanel treats kolbys.x10host.com and kolbys.net as root domains
Adding my domain (kolbys.net) creates kolbys-adln.kolbys.x10host.com | kolbys-adln is a sub-domain of my root domain | I cannot delete that unless I first delete my domain (kolbys.net)
I then create or.kolbys.net as a sub-domain.
I'm out of sub-domains.

wooprapp

Reaction score
Let me explain with my account why you are probably not going to get that second sub-domain:
My x10 "Your Domain" is: kolbys.x10host.com
I then added my domain, kolbys.net, as an addon domain (I have one remaining) | cPanel treats kolbys.x10host.com and kolbys.net as root domains
Adding my domain (kolbys.net) creates kolbys-adln.kolbys.x10host.com | kolbys-adln is a sub-domain of my root domain | I cannot delete that unless I first delete my domain (kolbys.net)
I then create or.kolbys.net as a sub-domain.
I'm out of sub-domains.
Which I understand that, but the DNS isn't adjusting to my account properly.

The following error results when adding "api" to either/both of my domains.
"Unable to add the domain name − (XID 9y2zmh) A DNS entry for the domain “api.mydomain.ga” already exists."

Can one of the Admins seriously not reply and resolve this account issue for me?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on your original post, Lyle's reply was accurate; now that you've posted the error message (which describes a different issue than meeting account limits altogether), I was able to resolve this most of the way.

To fix this, I switched to the cPanel X3 theme, used the Advanced DNS Editor to remove the two api records that were entered as part of the original subdomain creation process, switched back to x10 Basic, and then added the subdomain we just erased from the DNS records.

Please note however that I was only able to create one of the two subdomains you indicated you wanted, due to how cPanel handles addon domains. In your original post, you advised you should have 1 Addon Domain, and 2 Subdomains available; this unfortunately was not the case.

Cpanel's addon domains require a subdomain to be created at the same time, and the two are linked - this means that when you added your first addon domain, it also used one of the two subdomains present on your account, leaving one remaining. The x10-Basic cPanel theme calls this out:

Note Adding on a new separate domain requires 1 subdomain.

As a result, I was only able to add one subdomain, as only one remained. To add another, the addon domain would need to be removed, which would "free" the subdomain attached to it. If you need the other subdomain, you would need to upgrade to Premium, as we don't currently have the free hosting upgrade options available.

wooprapp

Reaction score
Based on your original post, Lyle's reply was accurate; now that you've posted the error message (which describes a different issue than meeting account limits altogether), I was able to resolve this most of the way.

To fix this, I switched to the cPanel X3 theme, used the Advanced DNS Editor to remove the two api records that were entered as part of the original subdomain creation process, switched back to x10 Basic, and then added the subdomain we just erased from the DNS records.

Please note however that I was only able to create one of the two subdomains you indicated you wanted, due to how cPanel handles addon domains. In your original post, you advised you should have 1 Addon Domain, and 2 Subdomains available; this unfortunately was not the case.

Cpanel's addon domains require a subdomain to be created at the same time, and the two are linked - this means that when you added your first addon domain, it also used one of the two subdomains present on your account, leaving one remaining. The x10-Basic cPanel theme calls this out:

As a result, I was only able to add one subdomain, as only one remained. To add another, the addon domain would need to be removed, which would "free" the subdomain attached to it. If you need the other subdomain, you would need to upgrade to Premium, as we don't currently have the free hosting upgrade options available.
Sorry for the late reply, thanks for fixing this issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.