Subdomains and CNAMES pointing to Smartdots

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenn56

Reaction score
Hi,

Have been enjoying the free hosting, and just found the reasonably priced hosting that doubles my sql databases and subdomains at a really good price.

I have a domain with smartdots, with the DNS servers pointing to ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com. No other settings should be necessary as far as I am aware. Then in Cpanel with x10 I have set my CNAMES to ghs.google.com as running google apps.

When I visit the subdomains, they redirect back to a smartdots page, which is confusing, I would expect it to redirect to an x10 page if there were any issues with configuration. Even a normal subdomain I have setup in Cpanel is pointing back to smartdots.

My email and main site are working fine though. Is there anything else I can check? The smartdots / x10 combination seems pretty common so has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Glenn

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Without a domain name to check, I cannot help you.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
When I go to that url, I get a 403 permission denied error. Please check your .htaccess file, and please check your permissions for the rest of your files.

glenn56

Reaction score
Thats just because I had nothing in the web root, its in subfolders. I have knocked up a quick index page and its working.

I have issues with subdomains which are located in my web root as redirects (tasks.wildpaw.net.tc for example) and also CNAMES which are set to ghs.google.com (mail.wildpaw.net.tc), these both redirect to smartdots.net

Appreciate your assistance.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Please clear your cache. mail.wildpaw.net.tc redirects to google for a gmail login page. Are you sure that tasks is a subdomain? I see it as a parked domain, but then what I see might not be accurate. I used a redirect checker and there's a redirect of tasks subdomain to smartdots.net. Please check your .htaccess file and delete any redirects to smartdots and then check your domain account at smartdots for any misconfigurations. I tried to do a whois search for your domain there, but it's privacy protected and refused to show any results, so I don't know if the nameservers are configured right.

glenn56

Reaction score
Thats weird its working for you, I have cleared cache on my pc and on my phone and they are both still redirecting.

Have checked smartdots and DNS1 is set to ns1.x10hosting.com, DNS2 is ns2.x10hosting.com

I guess I will try it when I get home. It did used to work but stopped a few days ago. Tasks is set up as a web redirect in Cpanel.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Thats weird its working for you, I have cleared cache on my pc and on my phone and they are both still redirecting.

Have checked smartdots and DNS1 is set to ns1.x10hosting.com, DNS2 is ns2.x10hosting.com

I guess I will try it when I get home. It did used to work but stopped a few days ago. Tasks is set up as a web redirect in Cpanel.

Since that's the one you are having problems with redirecting to smartdots, can you clarify where it's supposed to be redirecting? Please give more details in order to troubleshoot this problem.

Also, try flushing your computer's dns to see if the mail subdomain will work afterwards.

glenn56

Reaction score
Thanks for your efforts on this.

The contents of the .htaccess on the tasks redirect are:

Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^tasks\.wildpaw\.net\.tc$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.tasks\.wildpaw\.net\.tc$
RewriteRule ^/?$ "https\:\/\/mail\.google\.com\/tasks\/ig\?pli\=1" [R=301,L]

So looks like that's set up correctly, its supposed to be pointing to https://mail.google.com/tasks/ig

I have done a ipconfig /flushdns on PC and still redirecting to for the mail subdomain, could it be a geographic thing if its working for you? I am in the UK. I have tried on Work PC, Home PC and phone and always redirects to smartdots.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
I am viewing the redirect to google apps properly, which means that the issue lies with your ISP being slow at re-caching DNS. Check back in 24 hours to see if you still have an issue connecting to your site.

Status
Not open for further replies.